Need fast method to complete course | (Stuck in Scripting - Too Lengthy)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need fast method to complete course | (Stuck in Scripting - Too Lengthy)

Go to solution

Hi everyone!

Hope you're doing well.

I am creating VFX Compositing course.

And I have already recorded my screencast tutorials without voiceover.

Now I am writing script for my screencast tutorials these days. And In these days I have realised that scripting of tutorials is very very lengthy task and lengthy than anything else.

It's taking 4 to 5 days for writing script of each tutorial and I still have to write script for 10 tutorials.

According to this it may take 1 and half month to just write scripts.

Then After that my remaining work will be recording of voice overs of all tutorials then editing, Motion graphics, Profile related tasks, publishing etc...

It seems I still need 2 to 3 months to publish my course and I have already spent 2 months on it.

Is it normal or I am doing something wrong?

Is there any other way to do things in quicker way?

Note: (I have tried to record my voiceover while recording screencast but couldnt do it becasue I cant focus on multiple things at same time and English is not my 1st language and I am not fluent in it so It become very hard for me to record voiceover and screen at same time. I dont know what to say while I am recording my screen.)

Need Help....

Thanks

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Hypnodan
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

I would say there are no short cuts when doing as you have described. If for example you are able to use bullet points instead of writing a script then that makes it quicker. You just have to make sure you do have mmm's and ahh's in the recording. As English isn't your first language it may be preferable to write a script if this will make what you say clearer and flow better when you do the voiceover.

Depending on the length of the final course it could easily take months to make each course, especially if you are doing a lot in editing with graphics etc.

It usually gets quicker over time as you learn ways to do things and end up with templates for future courses.

It sounds like from what you are describing, that your time scales are probably about right, but publishing your course isn't a rush job, it is better to take your time, work your way through creating the course and release it when it is ready to be released and just focus on goals which will keep you motivated so that you don't get disheartened or think the task seems too big or never ending. Like maybe focusing on having a specific task completed within a week, or over two weeks, or a focus on completing a tutorial every two weeks etc. 

I often break up tasks a bit and while some videos are processing I will work on Udemy on the course page doing the description etc and starting to upload content etc, so that it gives me a break for a bit from doing voiceovers or recording etc, and after a short while I can see the course coming together on Udemy rather than it just being lots of files in a folder on my computer, and this makes me feel like I am getting there and helps me to take breaks from other tasks that I need to take and keeps me motivated because I can see the end result forming.

All the best

Dan

View solution in original post

GregReverdiau
Community Champion

Go to solution

Making a course takes a LOT of time. I spent 6 months on my first one. A little less on the subsequent ones as I got better with editing and recording. My recommendation is: don't try to make it perfect BUT take your time to get a high-quality product out there. Your course will be there for years to come, 1 or 2 more months won't matter. 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training

Go to solution

You can try to talk while capturing screen in your native language and write script over it then record a voiceover.

So, your script-writing time decrease because your script is already outlined and your editing time decrease because your narration will guide you when you place your voiceover over screen record in timeline of Camtasia.

But capturing your voice and screen together is the most efficient way of instructing a software, according to my experiences. It seems impossible at first as you mentioned, but you will get used to it by time. You can speak in your native, then translate and record in english too.

When I first started (a year ago), It took 10 days to publish a 7 minutes video. But now I can finish it about 4 hours. It will be similar for you too, you just need experience on screencasting.

11 Replies
Hypnodan
Community Champion

Go to solution

I would say there are no short cuts when doing as you have described. If for example you are able to use bullet points instead of writing a script then that makes it quicker. You just have to make sure you do have mmm's and ahh's in the recording. As English isn't your first language it may be preferable to write a script if this will make what you say clearer and flow better when you do the voiceover.

Depending on the length of the final course it could easily take months to make each course, especially if you are doing a lot in editing with graphics etc.

It usually gets quicker over time as you learn ways to do things and end up with templates for future courses.

It sounds like from what you are describing, that your time scales are probably about right, but publishing your course isn't a rush job, it is better to take your time, work your way through creating the course and release it when it is ready to be released and just focus on goals which will keep you motivated so that you don't get disheartened or think the task seems too big or never ending. Like maybe focusing on having a specific task completed within a week, or over two weeks, or a focus on completing a tutorial every two weeks etc. 

I often break up tasks a bit and while some videos are processing I will work on Udemy on the course page doing the description etc and starting to upload content etc, so that it gives me a break for a bit from doing voiceovers or recording etc, and after a short while I can see the course coming together on Udemy rather than it just being lots of files in a folder on my computer, and this makes me feel like I am getting there and helps me to take breaks from other tasks that I need to take and keeps me motivated because I can see the end result forming.

All the best

Dan

Go to solution

Thanks a lot for detailed response. It helped me a lot.

GregReverdiau
Community Champion

Go to solution

Making a course takes a LOT of time. I spent 6 months on my first one. A little less on the subsequent ones as I got better with editing and recording. My recommendation is: don't try to make it perfect BUT take your time to get a high-quality product out there. Your course will be there for years to come, 1 or 2 more months won't matter. 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training

Go to solution

Thanks a lot for this really good suggestion. 

Go to solution

Why dont you use the sound track apps which will help you to recors voice wgile composing the turtorials

Go to solution

Hi! Thanks for your response.

I am actually using Camtasia Studio and It have facility to record voice over with while composing tutorial. But I am doing voice over seperatly because I dont know what to speak while recording screen.

MikeM
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

Go to solution

What are those?

Go to solution

You can try to talk while capturing screen in your native language and write script over it then record a voiceover.

So, your script-writing time decrease because your script is already outlined and your editing time decrease because your narration will guide you when you place your voiceover over screen record in timeline of Camtasia.

But capturing your voice and screen together is the most efficient way of instructing a software, according to my experiences. It seems impossible at first as you mentioned, but you will get used to it by time. You can speak in your native, then translate and record in english too.

When I first started (a year ago), It took 10 days to publish a 7 minutes video. But now I can finish it about 4 hours. It will be similar for you too, you just need experience on screencasting.

Go to solution

Amazing.. That's actually a great Idea. Thanks a lot for this amazing suggestion. I will suerly try this method. Thanks 🙂

Go to solution

Agree with everyone else here, there is no shortcut. These things take time 😞

I thought I'd be done with my first course last year and I'm still plugging away in March! XD

Go to solution

Exactly. That is true. I actually thought I will be able to finish my course in maximum 1 month. But Its been 2 months I am working on my 1st course And I still have 50% of work to do...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors