Need your help in Audio. New to course creation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need your help in Audio. New to course creation

Hello all, 

My greetings to you. I am starting to publish my first course. I have made a Course PowerPoint presentation and now I am adding audio. But there is much voice in my audio. Disturbance types. Though there wasn't any. I am using microphones for recording audio. Am I doing everything right? This will be my PowerPoint audio presentation. Please enlighten me. 

Thanks.

14 Replies
Niels
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Hi there,

i also struggled a looooot with good audio in the beginning. That's why i'm re-recording most of my courses now.

It really pays off to invest in a proper microphone and a simple hardware pop-filter.

Have you tried to use some audio filters, i.e. a noise gate, to reduce ambient noise?

Best regards

Niels

Hi Thanking for sharing. But now Which microphone i should use. which you are using ? which simple hardware pop filter. 

@Niels wrote:

Hi there,

i also struggled a looooot with good audio in the beginning. That's why i'm re-recording most of my courses now.

It really pays off to invest in a proper microphone and a simple hardware pop-filter.

Have you tried to use some audio filters, i.e. a noise gate, to reduce ambient noise?

Best regards

Niels

Niels
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

I'm now using a "blue yeti" microphone and a standard noname pop-filter from amazon for ~13 €. For me it definitely paid off big time and i should have bought that much earlier.

Best regards  

AnupShukla
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

I suggest you use Blue Yeti USB as microphone. I'm using it, and my students and I can clearly hear the difference!

Hi there that's really cool you started your first course, first I want to know which microphone you are using for recording, is it earphones or headphones or just mic and which model, so I can give you right advice because there are so many reasons to get disturbance in audio while recording, and what kind of disturbance you are getting.

Thank you

@sweetdearsam

You can use Filmora Go for noise reduction.

@@ShwetaMehta0309 

df
Researcher
Researcher

I'm expert on that as I'm also a singer and I do recording stuff. You need to use some sort of "noise gate" or "expander" for that (noise gate completely cut off noise below a certain DB threshold, whereas expander just reduces it gracefully). What I did in my first course was recording the voice on a separate audio file (separate from the video) using a Rode NT2 microphone, which is a professional studio mic used to record singing voice. I used Logic Pro as software and then I created a channel strip with different settings. The secret is the Multiprocessor plugin, where, in the expander section, you can configure the threshold that you need. You will also need some compression, equalization and reverb. In the end, it should sound stunning, like a podcast. Also, note that you should avoid noise that normally you cannot hear but affects the recording. When I sing and I put the headset on and there is no backing track playing I can hear any far noise amplified, so that tells me there are a lot of noises around us. Just turn off your fridge and any electrical device that might affect your recording. I hope this helps. Note that the fact there is no noise also allows you to record voice in multiple "takes" like singers normally do for songs (one line at a time), and also allows you to edit single words that you mispronounced.

Hello there! I did a music tech degree (when I thought I might be a famous musician!!) so can give you some insight for sure.

The main thing to remember about any audio recording is the old saying, "you can't polish a turd".

Hope that's not too rude - but it's really important to remember!

Use a decent microphone. You don't need to invest crazy amounts of money, but something of good quality will do fine. I use a Samson Meteor Mic which is about 50-60USD I think. I travel with it too and it's rugged and suffers a fair bit of abuse. Had it for 3 years now.

Get your recording environment as quiet as possible. Harder for some than others. Try to reduce echo in your room, too. You want to record in a room that's got lots of stuff in it really. Carpets, furniture etc etc. All reduces echo. You can buy soundproof options for cheap if you look hard.

Audacity is a free piece of software that has some ridiculously good audio effects, often better than a lot of paid software. Get this program! You'll need to learn how to use the effects, just google it. After a bit of playing around you'll work it out! In this order.... --->

Noise reduction -> Compression -> EQ -> Volume down 0.5DB if needed

Sounds complicated but it really takes no time to do. The noise reduction effect is amazing. Way better than many other expensive similar pieces of software.

Also, don't stress too hard about getting a perfect, BBC quality audio recording. I don't have a perfect room and live in a busy area, so do get some echo and outside noise pollution in my recordings. The courses generally sell for 10USD. This isn't an excuse, but spending 20 hours setup time and 800USD on gear might not be right for everyone, especially if you're starting out. A good recording is a good recording.

Remember the old saying above (polishing one!), use noise reduction/compression - you'll be fine!

And get a pop shield if you can too!

Good luck for your course. Use filmora software for making yiur audio clear and use headphones.

I will explain to you what I did very easily before buying more microphones
There is a program called My Lens, download it for free from the internet, and after installing it on the computer, put the sound file on it, and the sound can be recorded directly from it

and then watch this video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10FFKl_0GSA

I hope you find your answer 

thanks 

Hi Shweta,

I also struggled with background noise for a good number of years. Even rented an expensive studio for a short while. Now, I use Blue Yeti although it does capture a lot of background noise. Some of it can be removed by Audacity as others have mentioned. I've also used ERA-D plugins(paid) in Audacity for noise removal. However, no software will remove harsh sounds such as honks, dogs barking, etc

If you have NVidia RTX-based GPU in your machine, you can use NVDIA RTX Voice software which is amazing at reducing noise in real-time. I use it for all my recording sessions & online training programs. This software will  work even with GTX-based GPUs (970, 980, 1070, 1080).

Cheers 🙂

Hi @ShwetaMehta0309 use "Audio lab" application.

It's very easy to use and also best noise remover I had ever used.

But it is for Android. I record audio separately and mix it with video.

It removes all noise from video so that it look like professional.

You can use mic instead of earphones, it makes your audio to record in very fine way and that will be very clarity too.

@ShwetaMehta0309 wrote:

Hello all, 

My greetings to you. I am starting to publish my first course. I have made a Course PowerPoint presentation and now I am adding audio. But there is much voice in my audio. Disturbance types. Though there wasn't any. I am using microphones for recording audio. Am I doing everything right? This will be my PowerPoint audio presentation. Please enlighten me. 

Thanks.

@ShwetaMehta0309 wrote:

Hello all, 

Thanks.

Please spent some as development fund for tutorials and live classes. 

@ShwetaMehta0309 wrote:

Hello all, 

Thanks.

@ShwetaMehta0309 

I have been in similar situation where i tried few things like using a very closed room or using inbuilt noise cancellation facility in many apps like audacity,etc,but more efficient then it is a nice AI based tool I found recently named Krisp ,which helps cancel all types of background noise with its advanced algorithms while recording.

Give it a try,should be helpful. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors