Programming Instructors, what teaching method do you use in your lectures?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming Instructors, what teaching method do you use in your lectures?

My first course is on building an advanced Asteroids game, and the closer I get to actually recording lectures, the more uncertain I am of how I should approach it. I'm hoping somebody experienced in course creation could give me some pointers as to what's feasible and realistic.

The teaching style I'm thinking of adopting is to do the coding somewhat organically, that is, without relying on copying prewritten code. At most, I'll have some notes or cue cards for each lecture guiding me on what I'm supposed to do. By teaching this way, I'm hoping that if I run into a problem, the student will be able to see how I go about debugging the issue (of course, editing the video to only include key insights and to reduce time-wasting). However, I'm not sure if this is this way would be easiest, and therefore not recommended for a first course.

What do you think? And also, what have you found to be most successful in your experience? I'd appreciate the guidance 🙂

2 Replies

Hi Gerard,

I think what you can do to get best answer is to watch some videos on youtube of the famous people doing video training videos. You can feel what they do and what method is better to learn from them. Then adopt the same method.

I suggest you using the method you have adopted as It help but always make the working code first and only re record it or edit it when needed.

Thanks

That's a great idea—slipped my mind somehow. I follow plenty of tutorials and courses now and from the past, so I can study their teaching methods as well. Thanks for your reply Abdullah!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors