Reflecting about when I created my first course.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeniseFletcher
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Reflecting about when I created my first course.

Since the community opened I've been spending my time in the Published Udemy Club and a post there really got me thinking about when I was first to the platform. So I thought I'd bob over here and share some thoughts and hopefully motivate some of you at the beginning of your journey. 

I've been on the platform for nearly 5 years now ( on and off) and have 10 courses which I describe as being works in progress. Course creation and improving your courses is a continual process. For some yes they get completed and some have even become out of date but for me mine are never really finished.

My first course took me 5 months to launch and it was painful all the way. I thought as I was a trainer in real life it would be easy to convert my courses into online courses- so my first lesson was realising that course creation is hard and a steep learning curve. It took me 6 weeks to create my 1min test video. I nearly gave up at that point. Actually I nearly gave up every week. The technical side of video creation was completely out of my comfort zone. However I ploughed on determined I would have a finished product eventually even if I never sold one course. I procrastinated on everything. Cried buckets. Sometimes working for hours on end with little sleep. Eventually I was able to press that magic button. Hurray my course was live! My next course on Procrastination 🙂 took 2 weeks to create and my 3rd was turned around in less than 48 hours. Ok my courses are short and sweet so it is easier you could say to press that magic button. But that was a tactic of mine to keep ploughing away through the learning. And learning these nugget tips of work in progress and done is better than perfect.

And now 5 years here ( on and off) I am still learning and improving my course creation.

If I can do it anyone can

Good Luck 

4 Replies

I have enjoyed reading your posts,can you also do another on how you were marketing your courses.

DeniseFletcher
Community Champion

I will do just for you @ChitulaLukonde  🙂 

I motivate alot by Your story ... 

DeniseFletcher
Community Champion

Aw thankyou @M_Husnain I'm pleased about that.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors