Rolling release of content - pros & cons

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rolling release of content - pros & cons

Hi all,

I would like to know if it's possible to do a rolling release of content - that is, publish the first few sections and then release new content weekly?

There are a few reasons for this:

1. I am producing a beginner's course on emotional intelligence - specifically how to see your blind spots and gain powerful self-awareness, which I know from experience needs time to do. I will have activities that will take time to do because I want there to be an element of reflection (which is how self-awareness is increased).
  2. I'm only working three days a week so I'm time restricted by what I can produce and how quickly. I also thrive on accountability so it would be great for me to GSD.
  3. I want to get going asap and not have to produce a full course without knowing if it's a viable product.
  4. I don't want to let the fact it needs to be a complete course limit my ability to teach.
  5. I want to be able to take in feedback and improve the course on the fly.

I intend to market the course as a rolling release so there are no surprises and will make the course cheaper than I would if it was complete to entice people to sign up to check it out.

Has anyone done this? What were your experiences - pros and cons?

Do you know if this is technically possible on the platform? How would I communicate new content to existing students?

Many thanks in advance crew!

6 Replies
MarkLassoff
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Sorry, it's really best to produce a full course.

First, students expectations are that they're getting a full course now.  Why buy yours when they get a complete course from another author?

They honestly don't care how much time you have to work, or what restrictions you have and students certainly don't want to hear you'll abandon the project if it's not working for you financially.

If you want to drip content there are other platforms, but they won't bring your audience to you.  

Mark Lassoff

Thanks Mark. I certainly won't be telling students the real reasons why I'm doing a rolling release. I would market the rolling release as the advantage to them to take their time with the material. I appreciate the insights you've shared.

You can do it. 

For example I have around 20 full workshps. I am going to pubish first 5 workshops and then add new one within few days. But I am not going to discuss about the 20 workshops any where in course description or provided material. I will only mention 5 workshops. 

As I will add them, they will get notified. When all 20 will be published, I will then write about 20 workshops in course desciption and in introudciton video. 

So key is that do not metion any thing which are you not going to give them in the currect release. 

Thanks Sijal, how do you go about ensuring there's a full curriculum for the course when you're publishing just 5 workshops (lectures?) first? That is, how do plan a course for five lectures, then expand it? What are you teaching?

I usually get the things done in next couple of days. I am teaching CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) 

DeniseFletcher
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @CaronMargarete when you send your course for review it will need to be a complete course as in, having a beginning, middle and end otherwise it won't pass review. You can then add additional material / sections. Students will be expecting to get a full course when they buy it because that's what Udemy sell. Also it would create you a big headache to manage because you might have someone starting in May, someone in June, someone next year etc.....

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors