Script writing, ‘I’ vs ‘we’

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Script writing, ‘I’ vs ‘we’

Go to solution

Hi, I am new to teaching on this platform.   COVID has lead to a pivot in my business model.   My business is my husband and I. Part  of our business is teaching self development courses.   In person, it is the both of us so using ‘we’ is appropriate.  For this platform, it will only be one of us.   I remember reading somewhere that you should not use ‘we’.   Thought?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Depends on the context; in this case you'd say "I'm going to teach you X" instead of "We're going to teach you X" for sure, but in general you want to talk more about the student and less about yourself. So saying things like "We're going to explore X together" or "You're going to learn X" is preferable to "I'm going to teach you X".

There are absolutely no rules about this, though. Do whatever you're comfortable with and what sounds right to you. It's just usually a good idea to focus on the student and their success.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Depends on the context; in this case you'd say "I'm going to teach you X" instead of "We're going to teach you X" for sure, but in general you want to talk more about the student and less about yourself. So saying things like "We're going to explore X together" or "You're going to learn X" is preferable to "I'm going to teach you X".

There are absolutely no rules about this, though. Do whatever you're comfortable with and what sounds right to you. It's just usually a good idea to focus on the student and their success.

Go to solution

Thank you for your response.  I had read last night about aiming your attention at the student.  I am not sure why my brain didn't connect that statement towards this context as well.   I am happy you did.  I will definitely use this tip.  

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors