Skills vs. Topics

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skills vs. Topics

Hello Udemy community! I am a new instructor preparing my first series of courses. However, I'm not confident that all of my planned courses will be appropriate for this platform. I can summarize my concern with one question: do course need to teach specific skills and applicable information, or can they simply provide an engaging but not necessarily functional  exploration of a topic in which I have a lot of knowledge? 

To illustrate this question with an example (not my actual topic area – keeping that untapped niche under wraps) – would a course about poetry be appropriate, or is this platform just for teaching people how to write poetry?

Thanks, all, for your input!

2 Replies

Interesting question. In my area, it's definitely all about skills: What can students do after the course that they cannot do before? On the other hand, nearly everyone is willing to invest in learning about something. 

But why not combine both? Have a course that is both about poetry and teaching people how to write better poetry? It might take longer to create, but that might also translate to a more successful course.

Hi @99brett 

I think the "about" poetry course would still teach skills. Appreciating poetry is a skill. Wine appreciation is a skill - we all know how to slug it back but understanding it is a skill. People do degrees in art history, not just fine art.

Hopefully, you will enjoy making the course. Some advise only to make a course that has a market. But how do you know if you don't try? 

I spent a year on research,  technical and general before I started my course. What I gather about Udemy is it is a career and you need a lot of courses out there to make a living. I'm not bothered what financial return I get until I have made 10 courses. Trying to get the payment method sorted is a bit of a pain anyway!

After making a few courses, I will evaluate if it's paying out.

I also have a course for a niche market but 3 things apply:

1. I still don't know if it will sell.

2. I don't expect it to be enough on its own for a Udemy career.

3. I love making courses so I am eager to spend my free time on it.

So if you add up the time I spent on research, my first course will be 12 months in the making, will be a unique offering and I am planning to offer it for free.

I think you should make your course and hopefully you will get enjoyment from it anyway.

LL
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors