TIME REQUIRED: 60x ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TIME REQUIRED: 60x ?

I have just submitted my first test video.

Nothing really complicated, but it took me forever to make it.

Question for the old hands here:  Are the first five or ten video clips automatically horrendously time laden due to clueless newbee syndrome ?

Do you guys who have been doing this a long time still spend two or three hours to prepare a 00:02:45 clip ?

3 Replies

Hi @CLINT 

I have been doing this for about 2 years now and have close to 30 courses. For my first couple courses I spent MUCH longer than I do now creating the actual video. There are a couple reasons for this. The first is simply because I've gotten much better at creating content. The second is I no longer "sweat the details".

Most instructors will earn between $1 and $5 for each course sold. You simply cannot spend 2-3 hours creating a simple 2:45 video when we make so little money on each sale. At least I refuse to do it. Of course, this is a bit of a balancing act. You cannot produce junk because then you are wasting your time.

I try to create my courses to be good enough and then move on to the next course. Most of my courses are 3-5 hours long and I will spend a couple weeks creating them. Virtually all of my courses are rated between 4.2 and 4.7.

There is no doubt I could spend a lot more time making my courses absolutely first rate. But, then, Udemy will sell my $29.95 course to someone in India for $5 and I will make $2. For me, I would rather spend my time creating many good enough courses. 

Hi @CLINT 

It's different for everybody. Practice, make loads of test videos and eventually you will find your flow. My biggest hurdle when I first started was video editing. I made the mistake of making my first course whilst learning to video edit. It took for ever and drove me bonkers. 

Best of luck. 

Thank you.

Just curious, are you a mind reader ?

"...My biggest hurdle  ...  video edit..."

You described my current circumstances exactly in three sentences.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors