Time making online courses on Udemy counts as years of experience?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Time making online courses on Udemy counts as years of experience?

Hello,

I was wondering if the full-time I am currently spending for making my high quality courses on Udemy counts as years of real work experience or maybe can not be considered as experience. I need to know this in order to be able to apply in the future to jobs that require 1 or 2 years of experience in the web development sector.

Regards,

Néstor Llamas Llopis

2 Replies

I don't think so.

That time would only count as experience if you were applying to a content/media production position.

Unlike degrees or certifications (either you have it or not) there is no black and white for working experience. If you think it´s relevant working experience and if you know how to sell it to employers, then it´s working experience. When you show in your courses how to create Websites from scratch as you would do for paying clients, it can be a better reference for your skills than a standard one-pager reference letter from former employers. 

It will definitely help if your courses do well in the marketplace. However, in the end, it depends on you how you sell it. I have seen instructors with some courses on Udemy for Business claiming that they teach and advise companies like [the list of Udemy for Business Clients]. That´s not completely incorrect or misleading if you can argue it. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors