Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SharonRamel
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Tips on scripting your video!

Go to solution

These tips are from an App called VideoScripts - I thought you may them them helpful.

1. Focus on what your audience want to know ...

... rather than what you want to tell them.

Understanding your audience is key to this:

• Who are they?
  • Why are they watching your content?
  • What are they going to do with this information?

By tailoring your script to your audience you will write relevant content which people want to hear.

Top tip: Try to increase the number of times you say "YOU" and reduce the number of times you say "I". This simple trick immediately makes the audience feel it's all about them!

2. Tell a story, make it personal and informal.

Video is a great medium for building close relationships with your audience so build on this and let your audience get to know the REAL you.

Top tip: A touch of humour, when done right, is a good way to get viewers smiling and engaged, so if you have a (relevant) funny story then definitely share it!

3. Make sure it reads well

Written text doesn't always sound very natural when read out loud. Read it out loud to yourself several times and amend to make it sound natural when spoken. You may be reading from a script but you don't want everyone to know!

Usually it is best to type out abbreviations rather than the longer form of words as we tend to speak the abbreviated form of words. For example, use "you've" rather than "You have", "it's" rather than "it is" and so on.

Top tip: If you are sharing your videos on Social Media then it is usually best to make the script informal, like how you speak to your friends. This will allow your audience to feel like they are getting to know the real you.

If you are writing in a language which isn't your mother tongue, or simply want someone to fine-tune your script, get it reviewed by someone who does. You may be surprised how little it costs.

4. Keep it short

People have very limited attention spans these days, so try to keep it to a minute or two. If you have more content, then make a video series of short, snappy videos rather than a single long one.

5. Have a call to action at the end

Make sure to include a clear next step that’s compelling and easy to do. What do you want people to do after watching your video?

Tell them to do it!

Top tip: If you want people to do it, make the offer irresistible!! 

Sharon Ramel
Spiritual Guide, Shaman, Priestess of the Blue Rose
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
SharonRamel
Community Champion

Go to solution

@Sijal_Ahmed  I use a combo of both. My scripts are often bullet points. However I am tending more towards scripts to stop me waffling.

Sharon Ramel

View solution in original post

Go to solution

This is good advice. It's the same advice given in Toastmasters "Speech to Persuade".  I've found many similar examples of how Toastmasters clubs provide a safe environment in which to test my materials. Whether it's a video Promo or a content presentation, my Toastmasters club is a safe place to practice it, and I always get feedback from my fellow members.

If you want to teach more effectively, Join a Toastmasters club. 

Jay Sunderland, Professor

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Go to solution

Written scripts are better or just speak out spotanously? 

SharonRamel
Community Champion

Go to solution

@Sijal_Ahmed  I use a combo of both. My scripts are often bullet points. However I am tending more towards scripts to stop me waffling.

Sharon Ramel
Vesna
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Go to solution

1. Focus on what your audience want to know ...

... rather than what you want to tell them.

This speaks to me more than the rest.
Always good to be reminded to put the audience first. Thanks!

Exquisite Jewelry Artisan @ Craaloosh Jewelry

Go to solution

Thank you very much for your suggestion. That's what I too want to follow. Whatever videos I make, I keep students in mind and their requirements I make videos. This type of videos like "Face on the Wall", surely draws the attention of students.

Thank you

Padma Rallapalli

Go to solution

Thank you very much for your guidance. While interacting with you all experienced team , I am learning various aspects. I will surely try to implement them

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

''2. Tell a story, make it personal and informal.''

I personally will never follow this advice, and never have.

When I see 'stories' in a course anywhere, (not just on udemy), it makes me cringe. The problem is this: you'll better have a REALLY good story.  Just having 'a story' and making it personal is mediocre. As far as I am concerned, if I want a great story I'll read Jack London or something like that, I personally don't have time for mundane stories, which is the case with most marketers: I am after  valuable information. These marketers who all 'tell a story' to me sound all the same, and really mediocre. No one buys a course to hear stories, but to get valuable information. My own advice would be: unless it's something few have heard of, save your story, as you will only sound self centered. At least, that's my opinion. 🙂 Then again, I have NOT sold a course yet, although I am in the process of making them. So I am not saying that your advice doesn't work, just that I personally don't care for a story unless it's something truly mindblowing. And I have heard these only from famous writers, if that. BUT, if you ARE a good writer, then the advice probably applies very well! I personally am only after bare truth and dry facts. Take excellent courses from The Great Courses, which I am a fan of. I never hear 'personal stories' except when the story is very remarkable, and these are uncommon (if real; if it's fiction and one is a good writer, as I wrote above, then that's different. And I suspect this is not very common either.)

Go to solution

Very well! I will follow on with your thorough details written, you might sell your story however you might not setting yourself a part from the crowd! Selling a unique selling point!!

Go to solution

This is a valid point, as mentioned above, some people do use a story for marketing aid or emphasising a certain point.

It best be a good story for me to take it away from the course, otherwise it's just a space to fill an empty gap.

Go to solution

This is good advice. It's the same advice given in Toastmasters "Speech to Persuade".  I've found many similar examples of how Toastmasters clubs provide a safe environment in which to test my materials. Whether it's a video Promo or a content presentation, my Toastmasters club is a safe place to practice it, and I always get feedback from my fellow members.

Go to solution

sounds interesting i must look for such a place /platform to practice thanks for sharing you just added to my growing number of words as a newly addmitted instructor 

@JaySunderla160 wrote:

Go to solution

@JaySunderla160 wrote:

Go to solution

Wonderful explanation.

Go to solution

Thank you for this.

Do you think that it's better to make a totally new video about your course for your social media platforms instead of posting an a short clip from your already filmed course?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors