Using Wikipedia to explain a concept

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Wikipedia to explain a concept

Go to solution

Hello,

I am creating a course on electrical engineering and I need to explain a concept of basic physics - magnetism. These kind of concepts are best explained in Wikipedia. Is it acceptable for me to do a screencast and show students the link and browse through it while I explain the concept? The other option is to create a power point and draw my own diagrams and explain using that. But it would nice to give students the Wikipedia links and would also save me some time.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Shiv

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ScottDuffy
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Legally, sure.

But I don't think this is a great student experience and you'll likely get lower ratings than if you just explained the concept yourself.

You're the teacher. Not wikipedia.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AtilSamancioglu
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi,

It's OK to use Wikipedia as educational purposes and even for commercial purposes since it's licensed under creative commons attribution. However i believe you're going to have to credit the author or Wikipedia in general in your videos. There is an article here about this: https://www.quora.com/Is-it-okay-to-use-Wikipedia-content-for-commercial-purpose

On the other hand i have to say i don't have any legal background so maybe someone with this capability can enlighten us on this.

Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I will wait for someone else to comment. Other than that the link you posted contains most of the information I need. If Udemy has something specific, maybe someone could answer.

Thanks again,

Shiv

ScottDuffy
Community Champion

Go to solution

Legally, sure.

But I don't think this is a great student experience and you'll likely get lower ratings than if you just explained the concept yourself.

You're the teacher. Not wikipedia.

Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for that tip. Is it ok to extract parts (images/text) from the Wikipedia article and provide the link in the power point as reference?

Thanks again,

Shiv

ScottDuffy
Community Champion

Go to solution

Yeah, sounds fine.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors