cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Weekly Peer Review?

Go to solution
Anyone game for a weekly one-hour one-on-one mutual progress review and goal setting session on your (and my) Udemy course development? I find that, though I do spend time most every day on my course development (going on a year now), I doubt I effectively move towards finishing a publishable course. And, at least once a session, I declare my course content "junk" for lack of a critique beyond my own. Not sure how to handle the logistics of such a peer review, but want to gain a sense of interest first. What do you think?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GregReverdiau
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

@Anonymous , I think after a while, we get all caught in the "make it too perfect" mentality. This has been discussed several times here. I think you just gotta "go for it" and see what happens. When I first started on Udemy, it took me a few months of working on my first course, then I actually gave up. What I wanted to accomplish, quality-wise and content-wise, was going to take way too long. I came back to it a year later and just went for it. A year later, I upgraded the course with better quality but I'm so glad I released it. It is still my best selling course and what got me started. 

So in short. Go for it and don't be too hard on yourself. 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training

View solution in original post

10 Replies
GregReverdiau
Community Champion

Go to solution

@Anonymous , I think after a while, we get all caught in the "make it too perfect" mentality. This has been discussed several times here. I think you just gotta "go for it" and see what happens. When I first started on Udemy, it took me a few months of working on my first course, then I actually gave up. What I wanted to accomplish, quality-wise and content-wise, was going to take way too long. I came back to it a year later and just went for it. A year later, I upgraded the course with better quality but I'm so glad I released it. It is still my best selling course and what got me started. 

So in short. Go for it and don't be too hard on yourself. 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

Thank you @GregReverdiau . You experience describes exactly my mindset. On the positive side, I continue to work developing my course. And find you encouragement quite timely. And, of course, will follow your advice.

KarolyNyisztor
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi @Anonymous ,
That's an excellent idea! Peer reviews are a great way to track progress and keep us motivated. What's your topic/niche? I'm into programming/tech courses. 

Karoly Nyisztor - Software Engineer, Author, Entrepreneur, and Life Hacker
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

Hello @KarolyNyisztor , Thank you for your compliment. Are you open to such a weekly get-together or simply suggesting that the idea is worth pursuing?

After 35 years, I out-lived my mainframe programming/tech career. Tried to teach myself the various flavors of HTML, PHP, CSS, Javascript and OOP development strategies among other tech pursuits, but just could not achieve commercial-level literacy.

My Udemy project focuses on coaching the student on how to create a video remembrance of the student's loved one, ancestor, relative or pet. It's turned out to be a much bigger adventure than I anticipated and I suspect a regular give-and-take peer review would provide much needed perspective.

Regards,

Brian

KarolyNyisztor
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hello @Anonymous ,
Yes, I might be interested. I'm in the CEST time zone (PDT + 9), but we can probably figure out a time that's convenient for both of us.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

Sounds good. @KarolyNyisztor  So do we do this through Udemy? That is, does Udemy have a place where we can upload videos, chat and so forth? Or are we limited to posts in Studio U?

As I write this it is 7:38 PM (19:38) CDT United States (Chicago) and 2:38 AM CEST putting me about 7 hours behind you if my math is right. I work split shift: 3:30AM CDT to approx 8:30AM CDT (10:30AM-3:30PM CEST?). Then again 4:15PM (11:15 PM CEST?) to 7:45PM (2:45AM CEST?) Monday through Friday. So your afternoons/evenings, including weekends, work best for me, As you write, we can work out the times once settled on the other logistics. 

KarolyNyisztor
Community Champion

Go to solution

Unfortunately, Udemy doesn't offer the features we need. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

Yikes. The opportunity to add to my skill set. I have never used Skype so I will need to understand what is involved. (I assume some sort of download and installation.)

In the meantime, please suggest an afternoon or early evening time and a date that works for you. Give me a couple of days to bring my Skype literacy up to speed.

KarolyNyisztor
Community Champion

Go to solution

Yes, you need to download and install the software, and register with a username/password.
Mondays or Tuesdays, between 18:00 - 20:00 CEST would work for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

My Skype was corrupted. Had to reinstall. I do not seem to be able to add you to my contact list. Let me try to contact you Monday at 18:30 CEST (which I believe to be 11:30 CDT).

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors