What Are Some Things You Wish You Knew When You Started Creating Courses?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Are Some Things You Wish You Knew When You Started Creating Courses?

Hello to you all!

I'm new here so everyone can get a basic idea who I am, I'll do a quick introduction. I'm Ben, a 20-year-old college student majoring in Graphic Design. I've been creating tutorials and such on YouTube across several subjects and many channels, so I do have some experience teaching. Though, I have not made a full course before and as such, I'm very nervous.

I'm sure everyone has been or is nervous about creating courses. I was honestly wondering if anyone would offer any tips, tricks, techniques for teaching, or something along the lines of a good mindset to have. Anything that may help this new creator here out would be greatly appreciated. For specific advice, I'm looking for some tips that will may help help me keep the viewer engaged, whether it be with visuals on screen, a way of presenting, and so on.

I look forward to working in the same community as all of you, so thanks for this wonderful opportunity.

2 Replies
GregReverdiau
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Not so much what I wish I had known but more of a major misconception: making and selling courses online is not a get-rich-quick scheme and takes a lot of work and patience. And it's not passive income either. You have to continuously tend to your courses and customers. 

Best of luck to you with your first course, you've got this! 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training

Welcome...you feel like you have what your going to teach in the Bag-

I would say Study how other people put their Courses together...you can do this by watching some Free Courses...I would also say don't make all your Lectures the same,so make Video Lectures-Powerpoint Lectures-Slides-and so on as this holds the Students Attension...it is a bit like making Youtube videos in some ways,also don't make your Lectures to long-The more Courses you Create the easyer it gets-Oh and forget your Nerves...RELAX BREATHE...DROP THOSE SHOULDERS before you film yourself as nerves come out in the Voice! Tell yourself youve done this many times before-And change those Nerves into Excitement about making your New Course! You Got This! Regards MK

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors