What are some ways to ask open ended questions with no right answer?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are some ways to ask open ended questions with no right answer?

Go to solution

To whom it may concern, 

I hope this message finds you well. 

I am a first-time Udemy course-creator looking to have my students complete a reflection assignment where they can be asked some open-ended questions that have no right answer. For example, "What's a time in your life when you noticed ____?", or, "What's one thing you'll now do differently?" 

I see under the assignment tab that it requires us to provide an answer. Is it possible to make assignments where there is no right answer? 

Thank you very much for your time, I greatly appreciate it and wish you the best, 

Dory 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

This is why I don't use the assignment function. The problem is that in my courses on management and leadership there is no one right answer. In fact, the purpose of the assignment is to generate dialogue between the managers and his/her team. For example, I may have a section of the course on a problem solving method (root cause, pareto, PDCA, etc.) and the purpose of the assignment is to get the student to work with their team and work on solving a problem. Not to give me one right answer.

For this reason, with each section of the course I have an assignment as the last lecture with a Word document as a resource so they can fill it out, duplicate it and use with their team, etc. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

View solution in original post

10 Replies
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Go to solution

Hi @Dory_Learn2Love Currently, open questions assignments are not supported yet in the Udemy Platform; however, I've passed this suggestion to the appropriate team.

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community 

Go to solution

Thank you for sharing this with me and passing it along to the team, I appreciate it 🙂

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

This is why I don't use the assignment function. The problem is that in my courses on management and leadership there is no one right answer. In fact, the purpose of the assignment is to generate dialogue between the managers and his/her team. For example, I may have a section of the course on a problem solving method (root cause, pareto, PDCA, etc.) and the purpose of the assignment is to get the student to work with their team and work on solving a problem. Not to give me one right answer.

For this reason, with each section of the course I have an assignment as the last lecture with a Word document as a resource so they can fill it out, duplicate it and use with their team, etc. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Go to solution

Hi Lawrence, 

That's a fantastic idea, thank you for sharing it with me! 

That way, I can also share tables for the students to fill out, lists to make, or other templates to complete. They can also bring these completed resources with them to where they can be applied.

Wishing you the best, 

Dory

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

@Dory_Learn2Love  That is very much what I do in my assignments. In fact in some of them I include an Excel spreadsheet. For example, there is an assignment to develop "standard work" and "leader standard work" and I have an example and template for that as a spreadsheet. The "right" answer for this is different for every person in every company. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Go to solution

Hi Lawrence,

That's a incredible idea, thanks for sharing it with me!

That way, I can also share tables for the scholars to fill out, lists to make, or different templates to complete. They also can bring those finished resources with them to where they can be carried out.

Wishing you the great,

Go to solution

Exactly, it depends on the course which we publish, few needs quiz and few doesn't.

Go to solution

Great !

@Dory_Learn2Love wrote:

To whom it may concern, 

I hope this message finds you well. 

I am a first-time Udemy course-creator looking to have my students complete a reflection assignment where they can be asked some open-ended questions that have no right answer. For example, "What's a time in your life when you noticed ____?", or, "What's one thing you'll now do differently?" 

I see under the assignment tab that it requires us to provide an answer. Is it possible to make assignments where there is no right answer? 

Thank you very much for your time, I greatly appreciate it and wish you the best, 

Dory 🙂

Go to solution

Nice question. But I have a remark here. While constructing an open-ended task don't make it in a form of a question, it must be done by statement as we need the integrity of the task. I mean it supposes to be the logical filling of the sentence or concept.

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

@NarineGrigo571 I think you are confusing an assignment with a test. Completing a sentence correctly is something you do when testing. An assignment is to apply a methedology in your own life or work place. In my case I ask the student to develop a charter for their team, or to develop a team scorecard, or to use a problem solving method on a problem they are encountering in their work place. There is no right answer or sentence completion for any of these. I am not interested in figuring out whether they have done something right or wrong. I am interested in their experimenting, trying a method and experiencing the results or difficulties they may encounter. That is part of the learning process. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors