What is the best way to convert word or text used for teleprompter to vtt caption files?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to convert word or text used for teleprompter to vtt caption files?

Go to solution

Dears,

I'm writing all my video scripts to be used for teleprompter while recording my videos. What is the best way to convert them to VTT files to be used as the caption for the videos later?

Thanks
Ashraf Fouad
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Go to solution

I provided a more detailed answer in another question, but I will copy it here to make things easier:

This is what I do: 

• I upload the video (a very low-quality version, so that it uploads faster) to Youtube in private mode.
  • I add a new transcription or subtitle.
  • From the 3 methods supported I use the "Transcribe and auto-sync" (see image below), then paste the text from my script and let Youtube process it.
  • Download the .vtt file from youtube and review it to see if it is correct.
  • If necessary, I use an open-source application called "Subtitle Edit" to make adjustments.
  • Upload the .vtt file to Udemy.

YouTube usually does a very good job syncing the script correctly, but it does depend on correct pronunciation.

transcribe-youtube.png

View solution in original post

Go to solution

After some search; I found this good article 10 Free Tools to Make Your Video Captioning Process Easier! 

It contains a good link also in using Google docs for automatic text generation A Simple Way to Automatically Transcribe Video/Audio to Text which was handy in videos I'm only speaking without script.

But for the main goal, was make use of script I have written before, I find the best option for an application that doesn't require upload videos and use videos locally from PC is AHD Subtitles Maker 

I'm using it now, and really great application just what I was looking for.

Thanks for everyone contributed in this helpful post.

Thanks
Ashraf Fouad

View solution in original post

12 Replies
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Go to solution

Hi @AshrafFouad You can find useful information in this article here.

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community 

Go to solution

Thanks @ElianaC for your reply.

I have went through the article and it is quite clear.

I need to clarify my question. In my case, I have all the captions as text without timing I just need to sync between it and the video. I know I can do this manually as per the article but I think it will be very time-consuming. I'm looking for faster service, like the ability to attach a whole text to video, and automatically the engine, start generating the timing and attaching related text as it is sequential already. This way it will eliminate/decrease the manual timing process if done by me.

I think this feature is available in Youtube Studio, as they allow uploading text transcripts, and they generate auto timing.

Thanks
Ashraf Fouad

Go to solution

Yes, you can do that using Youtube.    I have done it in the past.

Upload your videos in private mode, then use the "Transcribe and auto-sync" option. It is not always completely accurate, but the small corrections you might need to make are definitely easier than other methods I have tried.

Go to solution

I provided a more detailed answer in another question, but I will copy it here to make things easier:

This is what I do: 

• I upload the video (a very low-quality version, so that it uploads faster) to Youtube in private mode.
  • I add a new transcription or subtitle.
  • From the 3 methods supported I use the "Transcribe and auto-sync" (see image below), then paste the text from my script and let Youtube process it.
  • Download the .vtt file from youtube and review it to see if it is correct.
  • If necessary, I use an open-source application called "Subtitle Edit" to make adjustments.
  • Upload the .vtt file to Udemy.

YouTube usually does a very good job syncing the script correctly, but it does depend on correct pronunciation.

transcribe-youtube.png

Go to solution

Many thanks @CarlosDeLeon for the detailed description.

Thanks
Ashraf Fouad

Go to solution

After some search; I found this good article 10 Free Tools to Make Your Video Captioning Process Easier! 

It contains a good link also in using Google docs for automatic text generation A Simple Way to Automatically Transcribe Video/Audio to Text which was handy in videos I'm only speaking without script.

But for the main goal, was make use of script I have written before, I find the best option for an application that doesn't require upload videos and use videos locally from PC is AHD Subtitles Maker 

Thanks for everyone contributed in this helpful post.

Thanks
Ashraf Fouad

Go to solution

Thanks for sharing your findings, @AshrafFouad 

Would you mind sharing here a short summary of how you use AHD Subtitles Maker to sync your script to the video?

I downloaded it and took a quick look at it, but it didn't seem very obvious how to do that.

Thanks,

Go to solution

Hi @CarlosDeLeon ,

I have viewed this video on Youtube: How To Make Your Own Subtitles | AHD Subtitles Maker Professional  to be able to use it.

Let me know if you need any further help.

Thanks
Ashraf Fouad

Go to solution

@AshrafFouad 

I feel confused right now.  That video has nothing to do with what I asked.

To give you more context, because you probably didn't realize that I was the one that gave you the suggestion of uploading the video to YouTube with the goal of automatically syncing an existing script to it:  You said this:

@AshrafFouad wrote:

I downloaded the application and spent some minutes trying to find a way to use a previously written script and use the program to automatically sync it to the video, but I didn't find it.  So, I asked if you could share how you are using it for that specific purpose.

The video you suggested in your response only shows a very short example of manually writing the text of the subtitles and then exporting the file, so, it doesn't really help.

If you have one minute, and are willing to spend it here providing some help, would you please explain, very briefly, how you are using that application to sync your previously written script to the video in an automated way?

Thanks.

Go to solution

Dear @CarlosDeLeon ,

The video I mentioned was the video I viewed to get into the tool, and then I managed to use its features.

In order to provide a detailed explanation, I just made a video (Just more than 11 mins) How I am using AHD Subtitles Maker  and upload it in my personal channel.

I tried to include all that I knew about the tool to help, I hope this will be beneficial for you and others looking for the same.

After watching the video, please feel free to ask for any further clarification.

I'm here to help.

Thanks
Ashraf Fouad

Go to solution

Thanks @AshrafFouad , that was very detailed.

I understand now that the software doesn't allow you to sync the script to the video in an automated way, like YouTube can.  Instead, you have to watch the entire video and stop every few seconds to manually decide which part of the text is associated with the portion of the video you just watched.

I thought it was something different, but it's good to know that it is being useful to you.

Again, thanks for the detailed explanation.

Go to solution

Yes, this auto-sync is not happening, unfortunately.

You are welcome.

Thanks
Ashraf Fouad
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors