What's the problem that you had on your first course making process

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the problem that you had on your first course making process

Hello 

What's all the problems had that you had on your first creation ??

9 Replies

Interesting question @Rebihbrinki775  Let's see what other instructors can share! 

DiogoAlvesd487
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey, I can definitely say it was a lot of problems. I would highlight:

1. Audio. Getting a half decent audio quality was an hassle
  2. Software. Finding a free software that I liked was a pain in the ass as well
  3. Recording. Quite the energy draining process.

Will be interested in replies - I have encountered many more issues than I expected - especially since I an instructional designer in my "day job", but I use authoring software such as Articulate Storyline or Captivate - I expected this process to be faster and streamlined - I was wrong.

In my day job, I create and deliver classroom, online, and digital learning.

So I expected that, since I have the knowledge for the content, and I can make a learning experience and I know my way around Premiere Pro and After Effects, the process would be easy.

It took so much more effort than I initially believed - but I did enjoy the process none the less. 

The technical aspect of course creation I struggled with the most was definitely the voice overs. I wrote a 23'000 word script and tried to record voice over. A big initial surprise is, how much 'energy' the mic drains out of you. I thought I was delivering the lines with enthusiasm, but listening back, it sounded like I was half asleep. So I changed tactics and recorded that lines as though I was on a sugar high - trying to inject as much excitement as I could into the voice. Then listening back, it sounded right. So here's a tip: recorded lines 50% more enthusiastically than you think you need to be, as somehow the process of recording drains them.

Other than that, the biggest challenge creatively was finding my 'style'. A look-and-feel that will guide all the editing, set the tone for the course, and how I want to deliver. I went back and forth so many times on that. In the end, I picked one I liked and stuck with it - but part of me still wants to go back and change it again!

Definitely loads of lessons learned for the next course I will make.

I had to use my phone for recording audio and then send it to my computer and try to synchronize with the screen recording.. it was fun though.. Smiley Happy

@Bader  So you did not record the audio with the screens... they are separate files and you then synced the audio?  Is that correct?   (I ask, because I recorded the audio with each PowerPoint slide - as I created each slide.  But makes the "script" somewhat disjointed, and less fluid than if I recorded all together sequentially).  Just curious...

Hi @MichelHobso897 I recorded the audio in my phone while recording the screen.  So, I had two audio files (one in my phone and one with the screen record).  I had to synchronize them first and then deleted the screen audio as it was not clear.  With my phone, it was clearer.  I used app called "easy voice recorder".  Hope this is clear 🙂

@Bader Thank you for the suggested App. Will test it out this week.

I am doing the same now! And I thought everyone owned a fancy mic... Smiley LOL

@Bader wrote:

I had to use my phone for recording audio and then send it to my computer and try to synchronize with the screen recording.. it was fun though.. Smiley Happy

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors