When Udemy will send 1099?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Udemy will send 1099?

Hello, 

It is tax season in the US. When is Udemy sending us the 1099 forms? If they do not issue a 1099 form, then what ways can be used to report the income while filing our taxes. 

14 Replies

Hey @SayedM.Naim424 

The team is working on collecting this information so that they may send you the 1099 form in February for your tax preparation purposes. For your second question, it's best to write to instructorsupport@udemy.com.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MariaG ... I'm a little concerned that the team is collecting this info. That wording makes it sound like it's some sort of manual process. I would think this is something that would have been automated.

Hey @Anonymous , sorry about the confusion. The team is preparing to distribute 1099 and 1042-S forms for instructors' 2020 earnings. 1099s are expected by mid-February. You should receive an email soon about this process (today, I believe). In the meanwhile, this Help Center article provides some more detail.

But 1099s are supposed to be issued no later than 1/31 of each year...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any update on this? IRS rules dictate a Feb 1st deadline. We are now pushing a week later. Are 1099's still expected by mid-February?

Hi @Anonymous 

1099 forms are still expected by mid-February. Since this is the first time we've used our automated withholding system to populate these forms, we've made use of the IRS' extension option to ensure everything is displaying correctly before we distribute. However, we're still moving as quickly as possible to deliver accurate 1099s in plenty of time for you to make your own tax preparations.

It's mid-Feburary now

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

I received mine two days ago.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Any idea when the forms will arrive? It's almost the end of Feb now.

Hi. I am still waiting on my 1042-S and it's April now. 🙂

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

To be clear, you do not need a 1099 to report your income. Just look at your PayPal payouts from January to December and you have your 2020 income from Udemy. This will be the first year they have issued 1099s and we have reported our income every other year. Just be sure you add it up correctly so there is no significant discrepency with the amount reported to the IRS by Udemy. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Hi! I am confused now. I already have 1099 from PayPal. Would IRS be reported twice for the same income.(from Udemy and PayPal) ? How is this being handled?

Yep, prepare for a cluster f$#% this year lol

Dear @SayedM.Naim424 please advise the 1099 forms is supporsed to be filled out by everyone earning from Udemy or by only USA Residence and citizens?? 

Thanks in advance 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors