When should you go from free to paid for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When should you go from free to paid for?

Go to solution

Dear udemy community,

Just wondering if it's okay to ask a question. I have created a stress management course as I'm someone who has battled with his mental health and had to learn strategies to combat it. At present I have marked my course as free hoping that I might get some reviews and then at some point after that? Can try and sell it. Is this a good strategy.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks and happy New Year

James

Brighton UK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

Hello James! I am not an Udemy veteran, but I already have 2 courses here on Udemy and I think I could give you my advice.

First of all, I priced my first course as a free one. That wasn't the best move, and it's because there are lots of sites that will take your free course and market it themselves to lots of people (which are often bots that have enrolled in thousands of courses). Basically what happened to my first course was [1) I got lots of students but only 4% actually viewed the first lecture, so my completion rate was going down. 2) I got lots of negative reviews, just because, without any concrete reason...]

To conclude, you should not give away your course for free, instead I have another tactic I have used which might help you!

My tactic was to price my course for $29, then I went into the promotion section and created 1000 free coupons. After that, I went to facebook groups that matched my course's topic, and gave away free coupons to people that were actually interested. What happened after? I got good reviews and people that completed my course 100%

I hope I have helped you!

Marius Manolachi
Online instructor

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Go to solution

Hello James! I am not an Udemy veteran, but I already have 2 courses here on Udemy and I think I could give you my advice.

First of all, I priced my first course as a free one. That wasn't the best move, and it's because there are lots of sites that will take your free course and market it themselves to lots of people (which are often bots that have enrolled in thousands of courses). Basically what happened to my first course was [1) I got lots of students but only 4% actually viewed the first lecture, so my completion rate was going down. 2) I got lots of negative reviews, just because, without any concrete reason...]

To conclude, you should not give away your course for free, instead I have another tactic I have used which might help you!

My tactic was to price my course for $29, then I went into the promotion section and created 1000 free coupons. After that, I went to facebook groups that matched my course's topic, and gave away free coupons to people that were actually interested. What happened after? I got good reviews and people that completed my course 100%

I hope I have helped you!

Marius Manolachi
Online instructor

Go to solution

Dear Marius,

Thanks for your message and more importantly for your great advice which I have just actioned. I won't be offended in any way in you don't want it but I wanted to send you the 1st of the 1,000 course coupons to show my appreciation.

Thanks again and happy new year.

James

Go to solution

Thanks for your support Marius, I really appreciate it.

James

Go to solution
Iam convinced you have moral sensitivity and moral motivation but with a bit moral judgement, the moralty judgement is that you try to stress the course.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors