Who to insure my work with

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who to insure my work with

Go to solution

Do I need any type of liability insurance or any other insurance before I hit publish? 

Thank you in advance, Pam 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

It's not required.

My business does have liability insurance and I also have a personal umbrella policy, but it's hard to find coverage that will protect you from someone claiming damages resulting from what you teach. Generally these policies are meant to protect you from someone hurting themself on your property and things like that, and mostly makes sense only if you have a physical office outside of your home. I've never had a reason to file a claim on either of those policies.

But I don't think it's a bad idea to talk to an insurance agent and find out what is and isn't covered, and what it costs. However Udemy does not require any insurance in order to publish on their platform. You do so at your own risk.

If you're worried about being sued, it's a good idea to meet with a lawyer and learn how to shield your personal assets to whatever extent possible. I have a convoluted structure involving an S-Corporation and a family trust to that end.

View solution in original post

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

I think it is a very rare topic that would result in a claim of damages. For example...

• How to teach your five year old to juggle knives. 
  • How to have family fun creating your own super fireworks in your backyard.
  • How to cure your own cancer by creating medicine from the wings of moths.

In those cases I would definitely get insurance!

Seriously, I have never heard of anyone needing or getting insurance for their online course.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

View solution in original post

4 Replies
FrankKane
Community Champion

Go to solution

It's not required.

My business does have liability insurance and I also have a personal umbrella policy, but it's hard to find coverage that will protect you from someone claiming damages resulting from what you teach. Generally these policies are meant to protect you from someone hurting themself on your property and things like that, and mostly makes sense only if you have a physical office outside of your home. I've never had a reason to file a claim on either of those policies.

But I don't think it's a bad idea to talk to an insurance agent and find out what is and isn't covered, and what it costs. However Udemy does not require any insurance in order to publish on their platform. You do so at your own risk.

If you're worried about being sued, it's a good idea to meet with a lawyer and learn how to shield your personal assets to whatever extent possible. I have a convoluted structure involving an S-Corporation and a family trust to that end.

Go to solution

Frank, 

Thank you for putting my mind at ease. I do not have a brick business so I am good on THIS 😊aspect of my business. 

You are very kind. 

My best-

Pam Macri

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

I think it is a very rare topic that would result in a claim of damages. For example...

• How to teach your five year old to juggle knives. 
  • How to have family fun creating your own super fireworks in your backyard.
  • How to cure your own cancer by creating medicine from the wings of moths.

In those cases I would definitely get insurance!

Seriously, I have never heard of anyone needing or getting insurance for their online course.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Go to solution

Lawrence, 

You are hilarious! 

I am much more at ease now I don’t need this coverage after all. 😎

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors