Wide or narrow topic?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wide or narrow topic?

Hi!

Just signed up today to be an instructor as I want to create a course on creative writing for kids.

Do you find a course is more successful when the topic is pretty wide, like one course that encompasses the whole of 'creative writing' for kids, or narrow, where I might start with one course on something like writing vivid descriptions, and then add other courses on other topics as time goes by?

4 Replies

Wide topics work best on Udemy. This is what I noticed while working on Udemy. The more the topic is narrow, the less the number of students!

It depends entirely upon the topic and your target audience.

Products in tight niches can be very successful for the fact that they can be filling a space that is in demand, yet barely occupied.  In which case, competitive interest ensues. 

There's often nothing that's already established for to use as a base of judgement.  This is where market research (and subsequent marketing) proves its worth.

Thanks. The thing is that 'creative writing for kids' is such a wide topic that I feel completely overwhelmed trying to work out what to include. Writing descriptions is a really important part of creative writing for kids at school, and narrowing to that helps me create a course that's really good quality. But obviously not if that means I won't get any takers...

In cases like this, the best thing we can do is focus on the topic by means of a case study.

By doing so, you are showing the principles within the context of that project.

That gives you opportunity to create more courses for more case studies.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!