creating a course based on a book. is it possible?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creating a course based on a book. is it possible?

Go to solution

Hi. I'm going to create a course that is based on a fiction book. Would that be possible? I mean, won't it break any rules here? I haven't seen any similar courses here

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

You can create a course on pretty much anything, except for the stuff you'd expect to be prohibited:

https://support.udemy.com/hc/en-us/articles/229233027-Restricted-Topics

My concern is copyright law. I don't really know what your course will be about, but if it's based on someone else's fiction book, remember you generally can't use someone else's content without their permission. 

View solution in original post

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

Are you the author?

Several of my courses are based on my books, but I own the copyright to all the material. If you are not the copyright holder than you do not have a right to use the author's intellectual property. 

I have no idea how you would create a course based on fiction, however.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

View solution in original post

2 Replies
FrankKane
Community Champion

Go to solution

You can create a course on pretty much anything, except for the stuff you'd expect to be prohibited:

https://support.udemy.com/hc/en-us/articles/229233027-Restricted-Topics

My concern is copyright law. I don't really know what your course will be about, but if it's based on someone else's fiction book, remember you generally can't use someone else's content without their permission. 

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

Are you the author?

Several of my courses are based on my books, but I own the copyright to all the material. If you are not the copyright holder than you do not have a right to use the author's intellectual property. 

I have no idea how you would create a course based on fiction, however.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors