cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

itunes fee of 30%?

Go to solution

Hi Udemy,

I was just checking my revenue report, and I have a couple of questions:

20% is deducted for tax -> I don´t live in the USA, I live in Austria which has a double tax treaty with the US.  I filled out the W8-BEN form via the Udemy website and it was succesfully registered. So normally, I shouldn´t pay income tax in the US, only in Austria.  Why is there still 20% deducted?

30% is deducted for iTunes fee.  This seems like a huge amount.  I can see that it´s mentioned on your Instructor Revenue Share page, but it seems a very high percentage to me.  Is it allowed to inform students not to buy from the iOS or android app but directly from Udemy search or through a referral or coupon link?

Earnings.png

Thanks a lot in advance!

Best regards,

Hans Schrynemakers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

Hey Hans,

Unfortunately, you can't do anything about iOS or Android deduction, even if the sale was made through referral link they will still take 30% and Udemy can do nothing about it. Yes, it seems unfair but this is the reality.

Now about the tax.

I am not s 100% sure but 20% is not taken from you, it is taken from the customer and it seems like it is VAT tax which customers in EU are obliged to pay. Plus the price paid is in Euros, so it is paid from customers in the EU (Must definitely be VAT).

However, if Udemy is additionally taking withholding tax from you (it can be seen in your revenue report in your monthly earnings) then it is the thing that you need to work on.

Here is the video if you want the help with that: https://youtu.be/S4xMyPQxNrw (It is a video made by myself).

I hope it helps.

Kind Regards,

Nick Nyxson

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Thor
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

That is the normal fee on iOS and Android stores.

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer

Go to solution

Ok thank you Thor for the quick reply.  I thought these apps took 30% on the salesprice of the apps themselves, not of what the apps are offering of content.  My lack of knowledge I guess.

Do you happen to know what the 20% tax is then?  This seems to be different from one country to the other, so my guess is that it´s VAT?  Is this something the instructors get paid back or how does this work?  Any more official information from Udemy on this topic?

Thanks,

Hans

Go to solution

Hey Hans,

Unfortunately, you can't do anything about iOS or Android deduction, even if the sale was made through referral link they will still take 30% and Udemy can do nothing about it. Yes, it seems unfair but this is the reality.

Now about the tax.

I am not s 100% sure but 20% is not taken from you, it is taken from the customer and it seems like it is VAT tax which customers in EU are obliged to pay. Plus the price paid is in Euros, so it is paid from customers in the EU (Must definitely be VAT).

However, if Udemy is additionally taking withholding tax from you (it can be seen in your revenue report in your monthly earnings) then it is the thing that you need to work on.

Here is the video if you want the help with that: https://youtu.be/S4xMyPQxNrw (It is a video made by myself).

I hope it helps.

Kind Regards,

Nick Nyxson

Go to solution

Thanks a lot Nick for your time and your reply.

It makes sense that it is VAT.  I make less on each course sold, because the net revenue from each course is the course selling price minus the VAT (typically 20% but depends on where the student is from, I´ve had VAT tax deducted between 20-25% so far).

E.g.

• Course selling price: €99.99
  • VAT deducted: -€19.99
  • Net revenue: €80

And of this net revenue, Udemy takes 50% in case of an organic udemy purchase, or 3% incase of a referral link or a coupon link.  So this VAT decreases the net amount earned by the instructor.

Go to solution

hmm, I actually made calculations and you seem to be right. VAT is charged from the seller in this case (both you and Udemy).

It seems weird though because VAT is usually charged from the customer, not the seller (in any business, not just Udemy).

Contact Udemy and make them clarify that.

Go to solution

Udemy can do something about the 30% iTunes fee. You can stop being so greedy and disrespectful to the course creators who pay your wages. Maybe you could absorb some of that 30% yourselves..... just an idea 

Go to solution

It's an Apple thing. Udemy can't do anything about that.

The court case Apple v. Epic Games is exactly about that.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors