jokes and heavy to understand courses

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

jokes and heavy to understand courses

Go to solution

can we tell a jokes while instructing  idont want my students to gets booring ??

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Go to solution

I would be very careful about telling jokes in an online course. The students might not realize it's a joke and might misunderstand or get confused. I occasionally will have a joke in my lectures if it comes up spontaneously, for example if I make a mistake and then make a small joke about it. 

If you don't want your students to get bored, make sure your content is really good! One thing you can try is to use foreshadowing so they have something to look forward to. For example, if you introduce a topic and then explain "this may seem strange or irrelevant, but it's going to become super important for the next thing." Then they will be excited to see how to apply that topic to the next thing.

View solution in original post

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

The answer is "yes." But... I think jokes need to be relevant to the material you are teaching. I tell a lot of stories, many of them humorous, and they all are related to a teaching point. I know these stories work, because I have told them for years in front of a live audience. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Go to solution

@FrankKane hahahhahah  really alot of students seruis mor than recomended ...i remeber some funny instructuers in my college .. some of us were so seruos even he coulded'nt smile ....great advise frank thanks

9 Replies

Go to solution

I would be very careful about telling jokes in an online course. The students might not realize it's a joke and might misunderstand or get confused. I occasionally will have a joke in my lectures if it comes up spontaneously, for example if I make a mistake and then make a small joke about it. 

If you don't want your students to get bored, make sure your content is really good! One thing you can try is to use foreshadowing so they have something to look forward to. For example, if you introduce a topic and then explain "this may seem strange or irrelevant, but it's going to become super important for the next thing." Then they will be excited to see how to apply that topic to the next thing.

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

The answer is "yes." But... I think jokes need to be relevant to the material you are teaching. I tell a lot of stories, many of them humorous, and they all are related to a teaching point. I know these stories work, because I have told them for years in front of a live audience. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Go to solution

@LawrenceMMiller @MikeXCohen  thank you my frends perfect answers

FrankKane
Community Champion

Go to solution

To echo the others, I'd be careful. You'd be amazed what some students are offended by; some are even offended by the idea of humor in what they believe should be a serious classroom setting. And what might not be offensive today could end up being offensive tomorrow.

As one example, in a video I recorded well before 2016, I used Donald Trump in a snarky context as an example of identifying statistical outliers - having no idea he'd go on to become a political figure. I recently had to re-record that video; quite a few students were upset that I didn't speak of him with reverent tones.

Letting your own passion and personality come through in your course should be enough to keep it interesting, and you don't necessarily need to tell jokes to accomplish that.

Go to solution

@FrankKane hahahhahah  really alot of students seruis mor than recomended ...i remeber some funny instructuers in my college .. some of us were so seruos even he coulded'nt smile ....great advise frank thanks

Go to solution

I've been teaching "in real life" for over 20 years, and online for about 4 years. There are many diferences between live teaching and recorded teaching, and humor is one of them. I use quite a bit of humor in my live teaching -- it's a great technique to keep students interested, attentive, to help them connect, and so on. But humor in online teaching -- as good as your intention is -- is more likely to back-fire, as Frank also mentioned.

Go to solution

@MikeXCohen iwas afraid of udemy policy if they denied jocking or sence of humer or if they want only tuff instructers like stallon or they might hate any face of naturale disaster like roze in titanic movie she loset her feance and boyfrend and she sink's the greatest ship in history  and the freezing of 3000 rich lucky men (like these jocks) iwant to tell my students

FrankKane
Community Champion

Go to solution

From a policy standpoint, the only things you can't talk about are listed at https://support.udemy.com/hc/en-us/articles/229233027-Restricted-Topics

Go to solution

@FrankKane  great frank now i understand ,,,,it is a matter of students acceptance of jocking instructur or not thanks

but please can you tell me what zooming you are using whene teching coding for smartphoners

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors