revenue question

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

revenue question

Go to solution

Hello, 

I've had my course set up for about 5 months so far and students are giving it good reviews. However I've noticed that is doesn't seem to matter what price I set on the course as the average sale is just under $3.38

Does anyone know why this keeps happening? 

Thanks so much for your feedback. 

Jeff

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

Hi Jeff,

as far as I understand, this happens because a very large number of students buy courses only when they're on sale. This means, no matter what tier you've chosen, when Udemy promotes your course, it's sold for something around $12-15. 

From the $12-15, Udemy keeps a commission so you're apparently ending up getting $3.38 on average.

Best,

Felix

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Go to solution

Hi Jeff,

as far as I understand, this happens because a very large number of students buy courses only when they're on sale. This means, no matter what tier you've chosen, when Udemy promotes your course, it's sold for something around $12-15. 

From the $12-15, Udemy keeps a commission so you're apparently ending up getting $3.38 on average.

Best,

Felix

Go to solution

Thank Felix. 

I'm reading some articles and looks like need to figure out how to use my own promotional link in order to keep half of the revenue. 

Thanks for the response!

Jeff

Go to solution

Hi @JeffBonilla720 - You have to understand how the Udemy "game" is played. Virtually everyone on the planet who knows about Udemy knows to wait for the next promotion where almost every course is marked down to $10-$15.

If you are like 90% of the instructors on Udemy, the vast majority of your sales comes when Udemy is running a promotion. This means your course(s) will sell for between $10 and $15. In general, you will keep 25% to 50% of that. So, on average you will earn about $4 for each course you sell. Very few instructors understand this before they put in 100+ hours creating their course. 

You can try promoting your course(s) where you keep 97% of each sale. However, this is very difficult to do and even harder unless you have several courses for sale. I have roughly 14 courses on Udemy and I can earn $200 per month just on my own promotions. However, if I didn't have all these courses I would probably earn next to nothing on my own promotions.

GuilhermeMP
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

That is totaly true

GuilhermeMP
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Students rarely buy a course when Udemy is not doing a promotion, especially if the course is way more expensive than the price set when the course is in promotions, and even if they buy, they tend to ask for a refund once they know about the discount

Go to solution

Hello my senior colleagues ! I am grateful reading and having insight into 'Udemy' platform and the Instructors community club.

thanks a million times.

HumphreyNwa902

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors