Form W for UK based instructors?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form W for UK based instructors?

Hi there

I am a new UK based instructor.  I am just in the process of uploading my first course.  I have opted to be paid via Payoneer which is all fine but I have been asked by Payoneer, on behalf of Udemy to complete the relevant form W to confirm my taxation status in relation to the US IRS.

If you are an established UK-based instructor and you have gone through this process, can you tell me which of the W forms I should be completing and where I find the relevant information about the tax treaty between the UK and US and the percentage of earnings on which I do not have to pay tax in the US?  The information provided suggests that if I do not do this, I may not get paid by Udemy (always assuming someone wants to buy my course).

Any suggestions would be gratefully received but I realise you will not be a tax consultant and so I will not be able to rely on your information - I won't come looking for you if you get it wrong!

Thanks.

7 Replies

@ideostone I am trying to decide between Payoneer and PayPal so can't help with your question. Sorry. But I do need to hear your answer because this aspect of payment is a sticky point. Confusing.  Did you choose Payoneer over PayPal for a reason? Do they both ask for the w form? Apologies for answering your question with more questions but any advice you can give me would be great. You are further down the line than me.

LL

Hi Lizzy

I am afraid I did not get as far with paypal as finding out if it also required the form but as the form has been requested by Udemy, I suspect it will be necessary too.

I chose Payoneer over paypal as it seemed like a simpler process for getting signed up.  I already had a paypal account but could not seem to link it with Udemy so ended up cancelling my paypal account completely.  Payoneer seemed reasonably straight forward but did have a number of additional questions about bank accounts.  When I answered the questions, however, it was a quick process to get signed up.

I hope this is helpful.

Richard

Thanks @ideostone I appreciate your advice. Perhaps I should try Payoneer. Won't Udemy advise on which W form to use? It seems quite helpful to tell us when they require it. Have you asked them? 

LL

@ideostone I have to fill out the W form. Did you figure it out?

LL

Lizzy

Not at this stage.  It only becomes important when there is some revenue to deal with.  I have asked several people for help but will push it harder when I need to get access to some money!

Hi,

i am also looking for this info. subscriving to thread.

From a UK-based perspective, i am wondering if i should even run this out of a Ltd company, so not to affect my current PAYE income and tax obligations. 
(of course, if i do 1 course that doesnt really take off this seems pointless, and expensive. but, potentially easier to offload the lot to a proper accoutant).

I'm trying to figure out the same question. Is it better to run Udemy as a business or continue as sole trader / manage your own personal tax via UK tax return. I am not much further in figuring it out but I have found out the following.

Generally, if you are outside of the US are charged withholding tax of around 30%, BUT if there is a tax treaty between the US and the other country it can be reduced. In the UK there is and therefore this is reduced to 15% on dividends by US companies, 5% for dividends qualifying for direct dividend, 0% on interest & 0% on royalties. See more info here: http://taxsummaries.pwc.com/ID/United-States-Corporate-Withholding-taxes

So would money from Udemy be royalties?! 

http://taxsummaries.pwc.com/ID/United-States-Corporate-Withholding-taxes

UK company to US Company it looks like you can just say to Udemy (in the sign up) that you are a UK company and therefore you will get 0% withholding tax BUT I think then you are open up to having to pay tax to the US-based on the state it was purchased (different states have different tax amounts) which gets horribly complicated.

https://www.ensors.co.uk/blog/UK-tax-implications-of-companies-doing-business-in-the-US/

So far it looks like I'm going to say sole trader/individual but need to do some more digging.

Caution: I'm no way a financial expert and this is just from what I've figured out by googling and running my own company. Do not except any responsibility etc etc...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors