cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Google's take on great presentations

This Inc. article is really worth reading for every course creator. 

https://www.inc.com/carmine-gallo/how-googles-ceo-creates-brain-friendly-presentations.html?utm_camp...

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
6 Replies
Thor
Community Champion

• Thank you!

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer
GregReverdiau
Community Champion

Interesting article. I will argue that in this case, he is presenting (or even selling) something, not teaching something. As it says in the article, he's telling stories. It really all depends on your topic. I can't teach Aviation Regulation without using text in my slides. If I were teaching how to travel for cheap, then I probably would get by from using only pictures and very little text. On the other hand, slides full of text are definitely a deterrent and should not be used. There's a right balance. 

Steve Jobs was always master at presenting, using beautiful images, few text but again, he was selling a product that was visually attractive. 

Here's what the headline should have been: ""Those classic PowerPoint slide decks with a headline followed by multiple bullet points of long phrases are the surest single way to lose an audience's attention altogether.... ". That's the key right there. That's where you fail at Powerpointing. Death by Powerpoint. 

The more important section in this article is where it says you can't read text and also listen to the speaker at the same time. I see this in class all the time with my university students. That's why I usually introduce the concept with slides (that contain the basic information) then black out the screen so they can focus on me as I discuss the topic. I do the same on my videos on Udemy by using camera angles. I go from "slides" to "me+slides" once the concept is introduced, then to "me only" (zoomed in) as I explain the concept. 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training
Vesna
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

That's a really good way to intentionally direct student's focus - by changing camera angles from slides to "you only" @GregReverdiau 

Exquisite Jewelry Artisan @ Craaloosh Jewelry
GregReverdiau
Community Champion

Thanks. In the course I'm currently editing, this is the angles I can choose from. The top 2 are from the same camera, the 3rd one is from a B camera. 

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 10.19.58 AM.png

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

That looks really good! Nice use of visuals. 

Greg, I assume you are using the green screen. I am wanting to do this, but the other obvious angle gets me out of my green screen. Do you have two green screens or just an extra large one?

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
GregReverdiau
Community Champion

Lawrence, that was one tricky thing to do! The reason the camera is so tight on me on that 3rd angle is because of the limited size of the green screen. It does cover the entire wall (about 8 foot wide) but in a perfect world, it would need to wrap around the corner wall to get a slightly wider shot. My green screen is very long (you're supposed be be standing on it) so I could probably put it sideways to get that length but my little guess room is just too small for all that. Once my studio is built, I will wrap it around the edges of the wall. 
See the non-keyed image here: that very very thin white line on the left side is the edge of my screen. Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 11.17.32 AM.jpg 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors