Maximum length for a video lecture?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum length for a video lecture?

Go to solution

I think I saw a maximum time limit for a lecture - but can't find it in the help section. Is there a limit? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Go to solution

Hello @RPavlis There is no maximum video length but we recommend videos be between 2-6 minutes long. For more information about our requirements please see the Udemy Course Quality Checklist.

Hope this helps!

Eliana Cerna 

Udemy Community Team

View solution in original post

6 Replies
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Go to solution

Hello @RPavlis There is no maximum video length but we recommend videos be between 2-6 minutes long. For more information about our requirements please see the Udemy Course Quality Checklist.

Hope this helps!

Eliana Cerna 

Udemy Community Team

Go to solution

Dear Eliana,
Will it be a problem if I have a video for more than 3 hours as my course was set up like a workshop, so I cannot cut it in 10 minutes for example. 

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

@ChrisG This is a subject on which there is real research. Check the references in this https://community.udemy.com/t5/First-time-Course-Creation/Lecture-Effectiveness-The-Research/m-p/141....

I used to live on corporate workshops. Even when live, people don't want to sit through a three hour lecture. I am sure your video can be cut down into sections that are maybe fifteen minutes at the most. No one is going to watch a three hour video. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Go to solution

It depends. Average watch time of my audiences is 12 mins. Some videos are 24 mins of watch time on average.

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

I try to keep them under ten minutes. It is a bit hard to cover many subjects in 3-6 minutes. But, the research says.... you lose attention over that time.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
Thor
Community Champion

Go to solution

None other than upload size limit.

I would recommend staying between 3-8 minutes and not going above 10-12 minutes, at that point student interest starts dropping off.

IF you have long videos/topics, you can do part 1, part 2, part 3 etc. 

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors