Subject vs Project Focus

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subject vs Project Focus

Go to solution

I'm fairly new to Udemy, even as a student, but I've been going headlong into a Windows technology stack both at work and at home for a little over a year and a half. I was wondering: for skill centric concepts, like programming can be, should I make my first course based on the concepts with supporting projects or focus on a project and let the concepts become realized through its development?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

My recommendation is to think of it more long-term. If you create two or three courses around a similar topic, what's the very first thing your students need to know? That should be your first course.

"Advanced" is an abstract concept that means something completely different to different people. But if you stack your courses in a way that builds from the ground up, then students can jump into something more advanced in your third course...then if they find that's a little too advanced for them, they might need to back up a bit to something a little less advanced.

So, in this case, without knowing the specifics of the topics involved, I'd probably start with a course that talks about the concepts and then do a course with a project building on those concepts. Or, again depending on the topic itself, have the concepts be the first module and the project-based learning be a later module. 

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Go to solution

My recommendation is to think of it more long-term. If you create two or three courses around a similar topic, what's the very first thing your students need to know? That should be your first course.

"Advanced" is an abstract concept that means something completely different to different people. But if you stack your courses in a way that builds from the ground up, then students can jump into something more advanced in your third course...then if they find that's a little too advanced for them, they might need to back up a bit to something a little less advanced.

So, in this case, without knowing the specifics of the topics involved, I'd probably start with a course that talks about the concepts and then do a course with a project building on those concepts. Or, again depending on the topic itself, have the concepts be the first module and the project-based learning be a later module. 

Hope that helps!

Thor
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

I would go with generic training on the first ones, then when you have a student base do project based ones. (also ask what they want).

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
First-time course creation
Decided to take the plunge and create your own Udemy course? Check out some incredible Udemy success stories, and get inspired by your fellow instructors!
Top Liked Authors