Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Everyone, From an Old Timer

Go to solution

Hello Everyone,

My online business life has been a rocket ride.

After retiring from Cisco Systems at the age of 48, I started writing and self-publishing cozy mysteries with my wife.  Five years later we had published over 100 books on Amazon and made $500k.  Completely burned out on writing, I switched to Udemy course creation.  Five years later (this June) and I've already made another $120k.

There are so many opportunities  to make good money online.  Publishing online training courses is one of the easiest and funnest -- and there's no boss or having to commute to work.

I wish all my fellow instructors the best in achieving their Udemy dreams.

---Brian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Thor
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Exactly @Anonymous 

I did PhotoShop tutorials ehhh 15 years ago, sold MMOs in-game currency, custom flies for fishing, drop-shipping, website design, logo design, security consulting, paintball stuff, 20 things I am sure I forgot.

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Go to solution

That's a great story, thank you.  I have been trying to get my business online for 9 years and just been going around in circles.  I've evaluated endless platforms, started, stopped, made excuses, lost hope, gave up, started again, I eventually published one book last year.  I have got to get my act together and do some courses.  I want to be free to live and work from anywhere!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

@VeroniquePalmer 

I've started and stopped and started again.  Just keep at it.

As far as Udemy, just plug your mic in and go for it.  See what happens.  When I started Udemy I recorded my first 10 courses in 10 weeks.  At some point you need to decide you want to do Udemy (which I recommend) then put your head down and start recording.  Don't allow yourself to be distracted or frustrated into quiting.  It will happen for you.

Best of luck and keep in touch,

---Brian

Thor
Community Champion

Go to solution

I completely agree @Anonymous 

There are an unending option of places you can make money online, find the one that works for you, is fun, and that you are good at.

I have done so many different random things online as a serial solopreneur it is not even funny, most of them because "That sounds fun to try". 
Udemy was no different initially.

Then it became different from all the others because they were just providing a product and making money where Udemy does that and it helps people get ahead in life (which is VERY important to me).

Also 100 books in 5 years, that is a book every 2-3 weeks, that is insane man. No wonder you burned out on that.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

@Thor 

Yes, my wife and I were writing, but it was a lot of books that kept getting shorter (part of our demise).

Yes, the opportunities are boundless.  While still keeping the books going I'm recording on Udemy and porting to SkillShare, StackCommerce and iStudy.  I tried doing voice over and it just didn't work out (I need to meet with a VO expert with a study in a nearby town).  I've dabbled in affiliate sales and considered drop shipping.

Love being my own boss of a burgeoning online empire :-).

---Brian

Thor
Community Champion

Go to solution

Exactly @Anonymous 

I did PhotoShop tutorials ehhh 15 years ago, sold MMOs in-game currency, custom flies for fishing, drop-shipping, website design, logo design, security consulting, paintball stuff, 20 things I am sure I forgot.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

You win ;-).  ---Brian

Thor
Community Champion

Go to solution

I think you did with the 100 books, that still blows my mind.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Introductions
Create a video to introduce yourself and watch other videos from instructors to get to know them. We recommend including your name, what you teach, and what you hope to learn in your video.