Hi everyone, Emmanuel's presentation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi everyone, Emmanuel's presentation

Hi,

My name's Emmanuel, I'm from France, and I am a business analyst with a master's degree in marketing.

I also play the guitar since more than 10 years now, and a little bit of piano.

I plan to create courses on udemy, and as I am completely new to it, I would be glad to receive advices from experimented online teachers.

Feel free to answer me, I will answer back as soon as I can !

Best regards, I hope all is well for you in this ending year.

Emmanuel

12 Replies

Hi @EmmanuelP - Some things you should do, or be aware of:

1. Before spending weeks or months creating your course, do a bit of research first to find out how many courses already exist covering your topic. So many times I'll see a new instructor release a course and, after a couple weeks or a month, he or she has maybe a couple students and they wonder why. They never bothered to notice that 100+ courses already exist on their topic.
  2. If you are going to have Udemy market your courses, you will receive, on average, $1-$5 for each sale. If you are expecting to make hundreds of dollars per month, within the first 3-6 months, you will almost certainly be greatly disappointed. 
  3. Don't price your course too high. Many Udemy students simply won't pay more than $10 for a course because they wait for the next Udemy sale when prices are marked down to $10-$20.
  4. Most of your sales will come only when Udemy is running a sale. 95% of all my sales come when Udemy is running some sort of sale. Udemy students know how the game is played. All they need to do is to wait a week or two for the next Udemy sale and purchase a course 90% off regular price.

Hi Randy,

As a newcomer myself, I appreciate you sharing this information.  I'm just trying to figure out the best platform for my Resume MakeOver course for adults 50 and over.

@BMahone_ng06 - You have to ask yourself three questions:

1. How many age 50 and over adults need help creating, or making over, a resume?
  2. Of the number of people in #1, how many would come to Udemy looking for help?  
  3. There are 10,000+ courses already existing on Udemy related to writing a resume. How would you make yours stand out against all these?

If you want to create a course for the joy and satisfaction of creating a course, go for it. It will be an interesting experience. If you are looking to make more than just a little spending money, you might be in for a tough time.

Thank you @RandyMinder Can you tell me where I would go specifically to see what the various courses are that are being offered on Udemy?  I've been trying to do a search but not having a lot of luck.

@BMahone_ng06 - Just go to the Udemy home page and type in "Resume Writing" in the search box.

Thank you Randy

I took a look and you're right about the number of Resume Writing Instructors @RandyMinder .  You make me feel kind of discouraged but the one thing I know for sure is my personality SHINES!  I am upbeat, engaging and know how to capture and motivate an audience.  Perhaps that's what at least 50 percent of the people here say.  I am a veteran journalist with an exceptional communications background so perhaps resume writing isn't for me.  I'll figure it out and I'm confident that no matter what I decide to teach, it will be valuable and fun!  Thank you for your feedback.

@BMahone_ng06 - You would have been far more discouraged had you spent a couple months creating a course and then come to realize you are competing against 10K other courses.

No matter what sort of course you end up creating, you need to give a fair amount of thought about how you are going to attract students when there could be (and probably will be) hundreds of other courses already existing in whatever topic you pick.

On the other hand, if you are looking to create a course or courses just to share your knowledge, and are not too concerned about what sort of money you might make, you're likely to have a much more enjoyable time.

@RandyMinder I don't expect to pay my mortgage off of the money made here 🙂  I enjoy the concept of being able to give back the knowledge I have acquired over the years.  It's about making a difference in the lives of others.  If I happen to get $$$ for doing it, that's awesome but it isn't a deal breaker if I don't.  I'm confident someone will recognize what I have to offer.

Hi!

I like your confidence. I am also a new course creator in Udemy and I am pretty hopeful about making a positive impact in the world through Udemy.

With regards,

Saif

Hi Emmanuel,

Your message was the first one I saw so I am responding to it.  I am new to this platform as well.  I wish you much success in whatever your goals are.

Welcome to the team! I have achieved success by developing courses with interested students.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Introductions
Create a video to introduce yourself and watch other videos from instructors to get to know them. We recommend including your name, what you teach, and what you hope to learn in your video.