How has being open-minded helped you as an instructor?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How has being open-minded helped you as an instructor?

Each week, we’re showcasing one of our 5 community values to celebrate what makes our community of instructors unique. We have shared stories that embody the values of “be able” and “be positive” earlier this month, and this week we're talking about our value “be open-minded.”

There are instructors from all around the world in our community, and we are respectful of a diversity of culture, languages, and thought. We believe the best way to learn, and teach, is to be receptive to the perspectives and needs of a wide array of people.

“I'm passionate about teaching things that will enhance the lives of others. I'm from Ghana, a west African country, and when growing up I found out that many people were not able to reach their full potential because of lack of teachers. The available teachers are also either under resourced or are not able to cope with the unbearable teacher to student ratio so they are also not able to teach efficiently. As a result many fail their Wassce exams, but through udemy I hope to make Math, which students fail the most, to especially the high school students to help them pass their exams and progress to tertiary level.” - Justice (Ghana)

Share why this value “Be open-minded” is important to you.

1 Reply
GregReverdiau
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

I think being open-minded is a requirement for an instructor/teacher/professor. For me, it's important in order to listen to student feedback and make changes to the course. Whether it's about your teaching style, your content, or your course in general. Students sometimes point at things that are incorrect in my course. I verify the information and make changes as necessary instead of believing I know everything about the topic. 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Introductions
Create a video to introduce yourself and watch other videos from instructors to get to know them. We recommend including your name, what you teach, and what you hope to learn in your video.