Tax info for Germany

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax info for Germany

hello

Unfortunately udemy is not responding to emails.

Regarding the new tax forms that we have to fill in, the question is do udemy or the US contact German government for this matter? Is this going to affect us here? I dont want to start any german paperwork because here if we start it once we do it forever every year and I dont want to because I am not staying here for too long.

Thank you

5 Replies

Hey @FadiGilbert280, Udemy is based in the United States. All companies based in the US have to comply with IRS (Internal Revenue Service) regulations, which includes collecting information about your tax status as an instructor. Furthermore, no matter where you're located, you may have enrolled students from the United States, and those transactions may be subject to US tax.

Once you begin the submission flow at taxforms.udemy.com, you'll see the option to choose whether you are a US or non-US instructor as one of the first selections you make. Depending on what you choose, the platform will guide you through options that are unique to the selection you made as a US or non-US citizen. Hope this helps!

Abbie Reyes
Udemy Community Team

@Abbie wow Abbie.. you are such a hard worker!! Thank you for copy pasting the article that I read 50 times already. Did you notice that it did not answer my question?

Well done!!

EmilyH
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @FadiGilbert280 — The forms Udemy is prompting you to complete are for Udemy to use for reporting to the US Internal Revenue Service. They are not for the German tax authority.

I'll also remind you to follow our Community Code of Conduct and be respectful of all members, including our team.

Thanks,

Emily

@EmilyH thank you very much for this proper answer I appreciate it  

May i ask you then, why it is a must to submit my german tax ID in the form? Why is it needed? 

Hi @FadiGilbert280, A tax identification number, whether that's a US or foreign TIN, is required on the IRS forms Udemy must obtain from instructors. The IRS requires this for the form to be considered complete.

You can read more from the IRS about that requirement here: https://www.irs.gov/instructions/iw8

Abbie Reyes
Udemy Community Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Introductions
Create a video to introduce yourself and watch other videos from instructors to get to know them. We recommend including your name, what you teach, and what you hope to learn in your video.