April Feedback Post: Get and give feedback on your course here!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

April Feedback Post: Get and give feedback on your course here!

Go to solution

Whether this is your first or fifth course, it’s always helpful to hear from other instructors on how you can improve your course content to be even better. Each month we like to provide a space for you to share your course content for feedback from the community.

Before you share your course content for feedback, check out our self-promotion policy and read these quick guidelines:

1. Be specific. Share what you’re looking to improve or things you’re concerned about so your fellow instructors can provide targeted feedback.
  2. Upload content directly. Whenever you can, directly upload a video or course outline to our platform so it’s easier for other instructors to check it out.
  3. Don’t share course links or instructor coupons. This is a space to share and receive feedback, not sell to other instructors. If you want to reference a course, share the full name of your course without linking it. Instructors can find the course by clicking on your community profile and going to your instructor account on Udemy.
  4. Pay it forward. If you’re asking for feedback, look over someone else’s course and give them some feedback too! Always try to give more than you ask for.

We hope this feedback thread can help you create even better courses!

Comments have been turned off for this thread. Please ask for feedback in our May Feedback Thread!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Go to solution

Hi;

Congrats.

It's really great and also you can consider these:

1. Lights -> Great

2. Content -> amazing

3. Style -> Great

4. Time -Great

5- Sound -> I thinks it's better to user another tie-clip microphone for better results.

and use Audacity to remove background noises.

6- Add some text titles and on screen text description for better look

7- If it's possible add some transition to your video

8-You can use the Corel Video Studio.It's really easy and cheap software.

Above were only suggestions and i hope best wishes for your promo video.

Regards;

View solution in original post

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

OK, a couple comments. 

First, I generally think it is very good. I like the intro music and then fading it out.

Second, You have a very good speaking voice. You are very clear and enthusiastic and the audio recording quality is very good. 

Third, I think the graphics are very good. 

Fourth... this is my only suggestion for improvement... I think you should show yourself... get on camera so we can see who is talking. Some level of intimacy with the instructor I believe is important, rather than just a voice of slides. And, did you tell us what your background and credentials are? Maybe I missed it.

Overall, good job!

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

View solution in original post

61 Replies

Go to solution

Hi;

Thanks for you post.

Go to solution

Very useful thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

I'm not sure how this thread works, but I'd certainly like to receive feedback on my first green screen, virtual studio course introduction:

P.S. I know I've got to work on the green outline (using Camtasia 2018).

Thanks ahead of time for your consideration,

---Brian

Go to solution

Meta-note that you're doing it right 😄

Tagging in @GregReverdiau because he's done some cool green screen work! @MarkLassoff too.

MarkLassoff
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi Brian:

Good first attempt.  Here's what I'd look at:

1) The color balance is off.  Your (meaning you-- the human) color is very flat and dull.  Not enough depth to the dark parts, so it looks very washed out to me.  The dullness of your color is augmented by the use of primary colors in your background.  You look very washed out and the colors in the background move to the foreground which is not what you want.

2) The proportions are off.  You have to position yourself so it looks like you are part of the scene.  The TV screen would have to be on a 5-foot tall stand and the ceiling would have to be about 18 feet for this.  Cutting yourself off at the chest means the whole thing looks "off" to the viewer.  Think about how tall things are and put yourself into the scene proportionally.   The proportion problem is augmented by the first problem I mentioned.  You, in the foreground, appear in a lighter register (kind of like how mountains far away appear lighter).  One would expect the foreground to be more pronounced and the background to appear lighter.

Trick:  Take a screenshot of a real newscast or weathercast from Youtube and use that to judge the proportions against the background.

There are some other issues I noticed, but, I think if you correct the two above you'll be making huge strides.

Good luck,

Mark

Mark Lassoff
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

@MarkLassoff

Thanks, this is great advice.

---Brian

GregReverdiau
Community Champion

Go to solution

I second what Mark said. I think that maybe there is some of your green screen reflecting in your hair which makes your hair a little green. The washout part could be corrected with some added contrast I think. 

Also I think maybe you are recording yourself in front of a pretty small green screen which means that when you move your hand around 0:58, it is cutout. You should try to move further from the lens if you can and get more of your body, this will also help with the proportion thing that Mark mentioned. 

Last thing, not necessarily green screen-specific but your lighting is pretty harsh and create shadows on your face that are unappealing. Try to diffuse your light a little bit or add more lights closer to the front of your face. 

Best of luck! 

Greg Reverdiau - Airplane and Drone Training
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

@GregReverdiau

More great advice.  Thank you.

---Brian

Go to solution

Great advice, thanks

Go to solution

Looks good for me, just a minor observation: Your eyes are always pointing to left instead to see the camera.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

@luisrobertop87

You're absolutely right.  That's where my script was being held by my wife ;-).

I've since switched to using my Surface Pro 3 as both a telepompter and video camera.  We'll see if this fixes the problem.

So far I've gotten:

1) Move the camera back.

2) Look into the camera.

3) Better lighting.

4) Remove green screen haze.

Hopefully I'll have them all licked for tomorrow's recording.

Thanks for answering,

---Brian

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

Brian, 

I don't know whether anyone else said this, but I would definitely kill the music. It is very distracting. I think music in the first five to ten seconds and then fading out is good. But, to continue it all the way through is annoying. 

I think Mark mentioned the color balance issue, and it is also the uneven lighting that leaves heavy shadows on your face. I suggest you just do a lot of experimenting to see what works best. I take my camera off auto white balance and set the K scale to 3300 and then adjust my bi-color lights accordingly. It took a lot of experimenting to get it right. 

Also, I find the motion video behind you to be distracting. I would pick a more neutral background photograph that doesn't compete with you and your message. 

I think we all struggled with these lighting and camera issues when we started using a green screen. But, if you take the time to do a lot of experiments you can get it right than just leave the setting alone!

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Go to solution

Good day ladies & gentlemen

Could you please suggest me to improve my first online course.

Here is my first course online on Udemy.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjZR4F3111y8h85SURWk0wA7eNUSbw

Go to solution

Hi SuppamitrPr78;

I did it so consider these:

1- Your sound quality is good but use Audacity free software to remove statics from your sound.

2- You screen capturing quality is good.

3- Add some sort of smile on your face at the beginning so it's better!

4- Increase your camera distance when filming your face  up to your chest.

5- You can send your test video to Udemy agents for more checking  from instructors dashboard.

Go to solution

Nice short lesson tips in video course making. Thanks

Go to solution

I hope the best for you.

Regards;

Go to solution

Hi Everyone in the community,

I want to ask for a feedback, I've planned to make my first course and I would like to know a expert opinion (the udemy teachers) about my video, the video language is Spanish.

My Video: https://youtu.be/wJFGGlSmS00

Thanks in advance.

Update: I removed the original video and I shared the same video, this time via Youtube

Go to solution

Hi luisrobertop87;

Welcome to our community!

Your video is processing...

So waiting to finish...

In addition you can send your test video to Udemy review team from: 

Instructor dashboard -> Tools -> Test video

Regards;

Go to solution

Something is wrong in your video.

I got this error: Unable to play video. Please try again later.

Please upload it again.

Regards;

Go to solution

Thanks, I updated my entry adding a youtube url with the video.

Thanks for your time.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors