Availability of courses too high in my subject

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Availability of courses too high in my subject

Go to solution

Hi everyone

I used the udemy insights tool to understand the current demand for the course I want to teach on udemy. The result I got was-" Bring your A game to succeed " because there are already many courses in that subject. 

This is my first time as a udemy instructor and this feedback has brought me to thinking whether it will be worth all the effort and time creating the course or not. 

Please guide me with your valuable experience and expertise in the matter. 

Thank you

Mahalakshmi

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Your analysis is correct. Udemy is becoming a more mature marketplace. However, consider that this isn't different than almost every other business. If you want to open a new coffee shop, sandwich shop, create new software... you have to analyze the strengths and weaknesses of the current players in the market. You have to do something better than the current best players. Why is your course unique or better than the other courses? Is your own experience unique or does it give you an advantage in some way?

Woody Allen said "80% of success is showing up." That was true when Udemy was in its early stages. No more. Now 80% of success is being creative. Be creative.

One other thing: Udem now has somewhere aroung 100 million students wandering around looking for courses. Maybe one percent of them are in your category. So... one million students who may be interested in your course. Do you have to dominate that category to consider yourself successful? Maybe you can get 10% of that market. Maybe that is success!

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

View solution in original post

Go to solution

Thanku @EveWilliams for those motivating and informative words. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
FrankKane
Community Champion

Go to solution

You're right to think twice - recently there has been a flood of new instructors on Udemy, and making your new course stand out to students is harder than ever.

The best thing you can do is to "niche down" your topic into something more specific that has less competition. Is there some part of your topic that is both something students are likely to be searching for, and has little or no existing courses on that specific sub-topic?

Go to solution

"Niche down" Is a great way to move forward.  Thank you very much

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion

Go to solution

Your analysis is correct. Udemy is becoming a more mature marketplace. However, consider that this isn't different than almost every other business. If you want to open a new coffee shop, sandwich shop, create new software... you have to analyze the strengths and weaknesses of the current players in the market. You have to do something better than the current best players. Why is your course unique or better than the other courses? Is your own experience unique or does it give you an advantage in some way?

Woody Allen said "80% of success is showing up." That was true when Udemy was in its early stages. No more. Now 80% of success is being creative. Be creative.

One other thing: Udem now has somewhere aroung 100 million students wandering around looking for courses. Maybe one percent of them are in your category. So... one million students who may be interested in your course. Do you have to dominate that category to consider yourself successful? Maybe you can get 10% of that market. Maybe that is success!

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Go to solution

Thank you @LawrenceMMiller 

That was very inspiring.  I will never know where I will end up if I don't even begin. There are many factors that make my course different from the others. 

Thank you very much for helping me in realizing it. 

Go to solution

I have a best seller and a highly rated course in 2 'bring your A game' topics. It can be done! You need to offer something exceptional. You need a great promo video that very clearly describes how your course will benefit students and what their life will be like after taking it. You need to offer downloadable resources. I offer a free Zoom meeting once a month which students are engaged in. If people like you and your style, you can promote new courses to existing students and grow from there,

It says bring your A game.... so just bring your A game!!

Go to solution

Thanku @EveWilliams for those motivating and informative words. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors