Did you mean: 
Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Biggest risk you've ever taken?

Go to solution

Hello instructors! 

It’s time for another Hot Topic! 

What is the biggest risk you’ve taken in your course creation journey? 

Leave a comment below and let us know!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

That is so true Vlad_B. It is a great experience. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Go to solution

Thanks, @Bella for the topic.

The Biggest risk I've taken is to resign from my full-time teaching job in an Organisation, to launch a course on Udemy. 

But I'm happy to share, I made my first $1000 in less than 20 days. Working on another course, and will launch it in the next 10 days. 

Would love to hear others story 😄

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Go to solution

Congratulations on your well-deserved success, @Mohit UniyalSo happy to see you accomplishing great results in such a short time! 

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community

Go to solution

Did you have existing community before who you shared link to  ?? 

Go to solution

Congrats Mohit that was surely a big risk but with a happy turnout. Wishing you all the best in your future endeavors. 

Go to solution

Hi @Bella ,

The beautiful aspect of Udemy is that you can create a course WITHOUT any risks.  I didn't take any risks at all, and really enjoyed the process. 🙂

Of course, I can imagine two major categories of risks - either quitting a full-time job (like Mohit did), or hiring a team too early, without being quite sure that the whole thing is profitable. 

But other than that - when you do it as a weekend pet project, without hiring anyone to help you, then you have everything to gain and nothing to loose.

Even if you spend your time and don't get the expected result - actually creating a course gives you an additional set of skills - video-editing, audio-recording, etc. - that you can use later in other projects. So it's a win anyway!

With kind regards,

Vlad.

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Go to solution

That's a very interesting perspective and I couldn't agree more, @Vlad_B. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

Bella Almeida

Udemy Community

Go to solution

That is so true Vlad_B. It is a great experience. 

Go to solution

Biggest risk and also the most disappointment to Udemy was its security. I started my first course in 2018. Since my course become the best seller until now, I frequently got emails from many people and companies to offer protection package and showed me that many websites pirated my course and offered free share. At least 10 websites I got the report, the number of downloads were over 100,000. While my registers now in Udemy dropped significantly each month.

Go to solution

This happens with every instructor at Udemy. I really hope the Udemy piracy team look after this concern seriously, and come up with a more secure system. 

Bella
Community Manager
Community Manager

Go to solution

Hi Ryan and Mohit, I completely empathize with you. It is not nice when someone goes out of their way to purposely copy the content of instructors who put many hours of hard work into their courses. 

Unfortunately, as digital piracy has become easier and more sophisticated, fighting this issue is not an easy task. Even big companies such as Netflix and HBO often face these same problems. While we can't expect to get rid of pirates overnight, through our piracy reporting form, you can inform us when you discovered your course(s) being offered on another platform without your permission, and I can guarantee we will investigate this for you.

We take the ongoing challenge of fighting online piracy seriously. Through our partnership with Link Busters who are a global leader in anti-piracy technology solutions — we are checking your reports and are proactively monitoring websites, Google's search results for pirated courses and sending notices of infringement to get the content taken down.

The fight against digital piracy is a battleground where we need to be united, so I want to reassure you that we are hearing your concerns and continuously working to improve the platform's security. 

Please let me know if you have any questions and feel free to continue to share any thoughts you have about this.

Bella Almeida
Udemy Community 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors