cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Changing lives, at scale

That's what Udemy's really about. Not too long ago, I crossed the 200,000 student mark:

students.png

It takes persistence, wise topic choices, and a fair amount of luck to have that sort of impact - but just think for a moment about the opportunity Udemy presents for anyone to affect that many lives. Every week, I hear from students who found a better job or a new career, and my courses were a part of their journey. I didn't come into Udemy with any sort of existing following or any sort of fancy marketing plan; just valuable knowledge I was willing to share. Udemy connected that knowledge with people around the world who needed it.

See this football stadium?

iStock-959685848.jpg
It would take 3 of them to hold all of the students who bought my courses on Udemy.

That's why you're here, folks. Udemy is an opportunity to share your knowledge in a scalable manner with an enormous audience. You can change lives for the better, without even leaving your home - and make a decent living in the process, even while providing that knowledge at prices that are accessible to almost anyone.

It's true that most instructors won't have this sort of reach, but isn't helping out even one person worth it? Isn't the opportunity to impact a much larger audience worth it? All you have to lose is the time it makes to produce a course.

When it works, students win, instructors win, and Udemy wins. We're all in it together.

6 Replies

Will be great if you can share with community members how you reached that number. Do you do self promotion outside Udemy?

FrankKane
Community Champion

I do all the standard stuff with YouTube, mailing lists, social media, and my own website - but it's all a tiny drop in the bucket compared to the sales the Udemy platform itself brings in. It really comes down to wise topic selection, perseverance, and a fair dose of luck. I have another post on here about topic selection you might want to check out.

How long did you take to reach that number? Thanks for the inspiring words. 

FrankKane
Community Champion

About 3 years, David.

Thanks for sharing,Frank. That's the #big picture right there helping people can get better at what they love. Well said.😎

GrahamNicholls
Community Champion

Thank you for sharing Frank,

It's a real inspiration for working hard to make this sort of impact so congratulations on your success! With the attitude you show you certainly deserve everything that comes to you.

My utmost respect.

Graham

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors