Motivation

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motivation

Go to solution

I have been on Udemy 2 years now my 11th course is coming out soon. I am happy with my performance in terms of money now regularly 600 to 800 dollars month. I think this will increase to 1000+ a month after the Nov Dec Jan window as this seems to rise my baseline by a few hundred dollars.

But now feeling a little tired and my motivation levels are low. It can be a bit of a lonely business at times (creating courses).

Anyone else been in this position  of low motivation levels and how did you deal with it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

Hi!

Sometimes you need time to rest from creating and let the new to come!

And then your motivation comes back🦁🐘❤️🙏

View solution in original post

24 Replies

Go to solution

Thankyou for sharing your experience.

Though I'm new here as instructure I feel very low sometimes as I have started two months back only two two course published so for but by seeing your message made me move forward to start a new Course 😊

Go to solution

goodluck Bijit. I am a beginner too. i have decided recently to create a course and im happy to see you all and got

@BijitKeot wrote:

Thankyou for sharing your experience.

Though I'm new here as instructure I feel very low sometimes as I have started two months back only two two course published so for but by seeing your message made me move forward to start a new Course 😊

motivated to take baby steps

Go to solution

Hi @RossMcGowan - It was just about a year ago I published my first course. I now have 13 of them. My monthly revenue is somewhere between $800 and $1,000. And, last month, one of my courses got included in the UFB program, which is additional revenue. Fortunately though, for me, this is just a hobby. I have a day job so I've created these courses on the side. Most of the courses I created were in areas I wanted to learn more about. So I did and created a course around it.

I probably won't be creating any more Udemy courses. Udemy can be a brutal experience, both internally and externally. Fortunately I've had a couple other learning sites reach out to me about putting my courses on their sites. If I do create additional courses, it will be for other learning sites, where they care more about the instructors and where courses are not sold, but viewed on a subscription basis.

I didn't directly address the motivation issue. What always motivated me was learning more about a topic and then creating a course and seeing if it sells. Since I don't rely on this income to pay the bills, there really isn't much stress about sales, reviews, returns etc. However, what has demotivated me more than anything is the fact that someone from India (as an example) can purchase one of my courses that normally sells for $24.95, for $4 and I might get $1 or $2. That, as much as anything, is why I don't think I'll be creating more Udemy courses. The Udemy business model is great for Udemy but not for about 90% of the instructors which keeps Udemy in business.

Go to solution

Hey greetings, 

As i am a newbie here. Can you guide me that how can i create tests and quiz for my course. Any suggestion? 

Go to solution

Well I feel exactly the same it's not easy creating course it's a lonely process and sometimes the results are not encouraging then this is my second year just like you but I have not been able to get good income just like you I hope to well I have not dated much cause as you did but I hope to because where I'm from is quite different from where you are so environment also plays a bigger role but I am not discouraged I am going on I'm fully motivated because I know from the results I'm getting from one or two persons and students that have taken my courses which is an animation using moho studio it has really been overwhelming how the acceptance has grown over time and people love the knowledge that I give so I think one should have more knowledge on marketing courses and maybe probably this platform could also help with that in any way they could so that not so popular courses can also gets in and people could also get interested as instructors also work hard to get their courses out there kudos to you bro your work is an encouragement to me thank you

Go to solution

Hi!

Sometimes you need time to rest from creating and let the new to come!

And then your motivation comes back🦁🐘❤️🙏

Go to solution

Would you (or anyone else on this thread) have any interest in doing an accountability group with fellow instructors? This is a new idea I've proposed here: https://community.udemy.com/t5/Course-Creation/Any-interest-in-an-accountability-group-to-motivate-e...
Let me know what you think 🙂

Go to solution

I like this idea! Could I join (I am late though)?

Go to solution

I'm glad you found the Slack and joined 🙂 Good to have you!

Go to solution

awesome idea, can we join this group

Go to solution

@Nextgen Most certainly 🙂 You can join the slack group with this link: https://join.slack.com/t/udemyinstruct-7xp1986/shared_invite/zt-kce5ou8l-OTuK4NCZmTYHyD~yFRYJQQ 

Go to solution

getting the eror 

This link is no longer active

To join this workspace, you’ll need to ask the person who originally invited you for a new link.

Go to solution

@Nextgen Oh strange, let me copy the invite link fresh and we can try again: https://join.slack.com/t/udemyinstruct-7xp1986/shared_invite/zt-kce5ou8l-OTuK4NCZmTYHyD~yFRYJQQ Fingers-crossed this one works! If not, plan B: you can send me your email (or an email alias if you prefer posting that in this public forum instead) and I can send you an invite directly from slack to your inbox. 

Go to solution

Hey mate,

I think it's completely normal to have those periods of low motivation. It must be linked to burnout, and also the expending of mental energy on creating new knowledge.

I also believe that we should embrace those 'dip' periods, and use this as time to reflect on our progress. Perhaps it's time to take a side step and assess how far you've come, and celebrate the small victories. It seems that you have achieved a lot, and you should be proud of the people you have helped learn new knowledge.

It's important to be the observer and the participant of our experience; this helps put things into perspective.

Just some thoughts.

Marco

Go to solution

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. 

You are correct I think I was a bit burnt out. 

I decided to spend the time between now and Christmas updating my existing courses and I will not put another course up until I feel that I really want to.

Bye for now

Ross

Go to solution

Our motivational level is typically associated with reinforcements. The high reinforcement, the high motivational level and the low reinforcement, the low motivational level. 

Go to solution

sounds like a plan , would you mind suggesting some best practises for reinforcement ?

Go to solution

Reinforcement can vary i. e increased income, some other things which can make you happy 

Go to solution

Google "Brendon Burchard." He offers lots of motivational help (some is free). He is one of the leading experts (in the world) in his field.

Go to solution

Nice post . I am new on uDemy instructor profile. I have create my fisrt EN cours and i think about to creare the second cours..:) But i wait also for motivation..:)

Maibe, because it's the first days of the year or maibe it's not exactly what you expected, sometimes you have this feeling.

Best regards

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors