Sharing this Milestone and what I learned along the way!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing this Milestone and what I learned along the way!

Go to solution

847C8435-3A30-4E84-A7AA-8E0CF31254AF.jpeg

Super excited to have finally reached this one. 100,000 in sales on Udemy and here is some of what I learned on the way. ( Thos took 3 years by the way! )

1. Consistent output is key. Either updating existing courses or making new courses. ( I have 12 courses now. )

2. Appreciate bad reviews. What!? Yep, I said it. Those are the ones that will lead you to better course creation if you listen! ( of course I mean the constructive ones. )

3. Learn to promote your content. Don’t wait for Udemy to do all the work. You can notice that over time I got better at selling my own courses. I started to get less organic sales so I began to share more videos on YouTube, engage with my audience on social media, and create more blog posts. I now bring in 30% of my own sales.

4. Build your audience off Udemy! The real power is in your following and they love interacting with their favorite instructor so give them ways to do that. For me it is pretty easy since I teach art. I comment on their art and give any insights I can. Create helpful free content for your target student as well as a clear line of sight to your course content.

5. Help as many people succeed as you can. Do this and you will find success along the way!

6. Don’t wait for perfection!  It isn’t even a real thing in my world.  I am an imperfect being and I share that in my content.  Besides, I would never get anything done if I thought otherwise.

I hope this helps and I am here if you have any questions! 🙂

-Robert

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Go to solution

How do you promote your courses?

View solution in original post

Go to solution

I would say consistent output is the key.  For a few reasons really.  If you are consistently making new content you are consistently getting better at creating your content.  ( You should always focus on creating better quality content of course. )  If you are consistently creating new content your audience is going to stick around longer and ultimately it will generate more sales for you.  Being consistent also helps us to not become lazy.  It is easy to see the money rolling in and start taking larger and larger breaks.  Don't do it.  This isn't a passive income.  Stay diligent and stay consistent!

Good luck to you!

-Robert  

View solution in original post

30 Replies

Go to solution

Wow, that is very nice then. Congratulations. 

Go to solution

Thank you very much!

Go to solution

If you have a following and mailing list off Udemy, why do you use it to promote courses on here out of interest? If you sold courses from your own website, since people are interested in your brand, wouldn't you make more money selling from your own website? 

Go to solution

Sorry to respond to this so late.  To my understanding, if we can get the course some extra traffic Udemy backs it a bit more.  Plus, a student rarely buys on the first visit but with retargeting ads they are more likely to purchase after seeing it a few times.  We tend to buy what we are more familiar with.

Once that happens and the course gets that initial traction it can take off and become a best seller.  It has a sort of snow ball effect.  So even though I can drive traffic to my own content and make a bit more per sale it can actually be counter productive since Udemy does a much better job at running ad campaigns than I ever could.

These are just my own findings and I am not sure if I am 100% correct but I am testing and repeating to figure things out.  

Good luck to you!

-Robert

Go to solution

thanks for sharing

Muslim Helalee - Full Stack Web Developer and Instructor

Go to solution

Hi Robert! Thanks for your tips, useful and interesting. I appreciate your point of view so engaging! Keep up! Best for you and your teachings!

Rosanna

Go to solution

Thanks for sharing Robert; Am about to start my course as well and 

@Robert_Marzullo wrote:

Super excited to have finally reached this one. 100,000 in sales on Udemy and here is some of what I learned on the way. ( Thos took 3 years by the way! )

1. Consistent output is key. Either updating existing courses or making new courses. ( I have 12 courses now. )

2. Appreciate bad reviews. What!? Yep, I said it. Those are the ones that will lead you to better course creation if you listen! ( of course I mean the constructive ones. )

3. Learn to promote your content. Don’t wait for Udemy to do all the work. You can notice that over time I got better at selling my own courses. I started to get less organic sales so I began to share more videos on YouTube, engage with my audience on social media, and create more blog posts. I now bring in 30% of my own sales.

4. Build your audience off Udemy! The real power is in your following and they love interacting with their favorite instructor so give them ways to do that. For me it is pretty easy since I teach art. I comment on their art and give any insights I can. Create helpful free content for your target student as well as a clear line of sight to your course content.

5. Help as many people succeed as you can. Do this and you will find success along the way!

6. Don’t wait for perfection!  It isn’t even a real thing in my world.  I am an imperfect being and I share that in my content.  Besides, I would never get anything done if I thought otherwise.

-Robert

Go to solution

Great post, congrats on 100K! To build audience WITHIN Udemy, is there a way to use metadata or keywords? I haven't quite found my way through all the tools available.

I'm new here, publishing Tai Chi, Qigong and Meditation lessons by some of the world's greatest teachers, including our founder, Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming:

https://www.udemy.com/user/ymaa-publication-center/

REMEMBER: When we breathe slowly and deeply, our mind and body are calmed on a cellular level, reducing stress hormones, and allowing your immune response to improve.  THANK YOU!

Go to solution

Congratulations on reaching this magical mark!!

Go to solution

Congratulations on getting this milestone. It's a huge milestone but for you its not that huge you are expecting it to be. 

The point stating let your student succeed and you will succeed in longer run is perfect. I too believe in that.

The marketing strategy as seen in below conversation helps a lot. I have seen few students getting enrolled by You Tube or blogs where i am putting udemy profile links. The students visit my page frequently and give me sales. I always try to check their positive and negative comments. The negative comments help me in learning and positive boost me to move forward.

Thank you for sharing such a milestone. It always help in getting an idealogy that the mark instructor got is possible. The only way to get there is hard work and devotion. The most utmost thing is believe that it can happen with you as well. 

Once again a big congratulations on getting this milestone. 

@Robert_Marzullo wrote:

-Robert

CEO
AXE Consultant
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors