Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ScottDuffy
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Udemy Promotion Schedule - Remainder of 2019

Go to solution

Bit of a click-baity title. 🙂

I've been on Udemy now 5 years, and sold more than $1 million in courses in that time. This is my advice. Take it or leave it. Up to you.

If this is your first year on Udemy, you might be interested to know how the rest of the year will go, so that you can plan your work.

July, bit of a quiet month. People are on holidays in the Northern Hemisphere of the world. But surprisingly, this is not the slowest time of year. I'd rate this in the middle. An "average" month in expected sales.

August, back to school season starts again. As we get to the end of August, people start getting their heads out of beaches and summer, and start thinking of school again. Course sales pick up near the end of August. Udemy runs a "back to school" sale then, and August is perhaps the "third best month" of the whole year.

September, a bit slower. Students hopefully stacked up on courses in August and so September is a bit of a "pull back" in terms of sales. Back to July levels. No major promotions this month.

October, picking up. As we get to the end of October, sales start to pick up a little. Above average month. Udemy sometimes runs a "course creation" contest or incentives around this time. Last year, they paid a cash bonus for launching a course during this period.

November is the big month. Thanksgiving. Black Friday, Cyber Monday. This is the start of Udemy's sale season. November is often the #1 month in terms of sales or very close to #1. If you have a course you're planning to launch, launch it before November. 

December, again right after a big sale is the hangover. December is one of the slowest months of the year. Christmas season, and people have other things on their mind.

January, new year's resolutions means New Year's Sale. This is the #2 month of the year, or for some people #1. If you missed Black Friday, launching your course well before Jan 1 is recommended.

General Suggestions:

- July is a great month to course creators (us) to be course creating. August is often the #3 sales period of the year.

- If you've got a new course in the pipeline, launch it by the end of October. That's less than 4 months from today. Move heaven and Earth to get it done. Work weekends and tell the kids to talk to your spouse for a week or two. Missing Black Friday with a new course is like the ultimate Udemy instructor sin.

- If you miss Black Friday, don't miss New Years sale.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Go to solution

As a new teacher this was so helpful! Thank you.

View solution in original post

ScottDuffy
Community Champion

Go to solution

It doesn't change magically.

You have to change it. What are you doing to attract more people to your topic?

View solution in original post

39 Replies

Go to solution

Thanks for the useful tips Scott! 

Go to solution

As a new teacher this was so helpful! Thank you.

Go to solution

Great insight and advice, very much appreciated! Time to start planning my next courses, thanks for the information.

Go to solution

Thanks!!!

Very useful

Go to solution

Thank you very much these tips, Scott! I will start working on my new course.

Go to solution

So helpful @ScottDuffy 

Go to solution

Thanks for the tips.

Unfurtunatly my sales are getting lower and lower...hope it will change. 

ScottDuffy
Community Champion

Go to solution

It doesn't change magically.

You have to change it. What are you doing to attract more people to your topic?

Go to solution

Thanks a lot  Scott.

Go to solution

Great advice. I will take it

Go to solution

Always love your tips Scott! You deserve your awesome success on udemy!

KarolyNyisztor
Community Champion

Go to solution

Thanks for this excellent summary, @ScottDuffy !

Karoly Nyisztor - Software Engineer, Author, Entrepreneur, and Life Hacker

Go to solution

Very helpful and VERY motivating!

Go to solution

On point. Thanks Scott!

Go to solution

Thank you. I will use this information for planning and launching new courses.

JasonDion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Scott is absolutely right. For me, it has always November, January, August, and May in terms of my highest months. December is always the lowest.

I am launching a course in August, two in October, and two in December to capitalize on this half of the year. 

For me, the past 6 months have been awesome, so I cannot wait for the next 6 months where we get 3 of the biggest sales months!

Jason Dion

Jason Dion
Lead Instructor @ Dion Training Solutions

Go to solution

Thank you for your advice on planning! I have just uploaded my first course, how can i promote it effectively as the new instructor on Udemy? 

Go to solution

Thanks for the heads up.  I was a little curious how certain months analytics were.  I won’t be discouraged now if I don’t do so well in some of these you have listed for my first course.  

Go to solution

Great stuff! Would it be safe to say that on average, November's sales are 10x more than that of, say, July? Or is that a stretch?

ScottDuffy
Community Champion

Go to solution

Double, not 10X.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors