Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GrahamNicholls
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

You can still make it as an instructor!

Go to solution

Hey Folks and Happy Thursday,

I wanted to send some thoughts and inspiration out to new instructors and anyone struggling a little. I know what it was like starting out as an instructor wondering if I could make it work, could I make it count, could I do this full time.

My first course went live in September 2017 and I made less than $50 for the first couple of months, I added another and another because all of the top instructors kept posting that it was a "long game" and you had to keep at it and keep producing courses.

Fast forward 28 Months to this January....... this month I crossed the 40,000 paying students mark and the milestone of $200,000 income. I'm not saying this to impress you as there are many instructors with way more impressive numbers. I am saying this, however, to impress upon you that it can be done! It takes time, effort and determination, it takes hard work and a learning curve that keeps you on your toes...... but it can be done.

I'll add some tips below, many you will have seen before from other instructors but I may just add something that sparks a thought inside you, here goes:

- Content is your livelihood...... very few people will make loads of money with one course so keep creating content and adding courses.

- Connect with your students....... use the announcements to connect, answer Q&A's and messages, start and get involved in your own Facebook groups. The more your students get to know the real you, the more they will buy extra courses from you.

- Learn as much as you can about the Udemy search engine..... the more you learn the greater you can use it to your advantage. Just like Google, if you can push the right buttons and hit the right keywords you can succeed.

- Quality rules...... you don't need to aim for perfection but you do need to make the best quality courses you can. People buy quality, it's as simple as that.

- Read these pages...... When I first started there was an instructors Facebook group that then moved across to here. Everytime I saw a post from a top instructor who was doing well I read it over and over until I knew their strategies. There are always posts from top instructors in here giving you hints and tips so use them! These guys know what they are talking about!

- Be consistenctly persistent..... Keep going, no matter what happens, keep going. If one course doesn;t make what you thought it would, do another! I have some courses that turn over very little and some that do a decent amount. Not all of them work, but some will! I once heard a Sales Trainer say..... "Some will, some won't, so what, next" - a great mantra for a Udemy instructor!!

From me to you, I wish you every success in whatever area you are in.... you got this!! 

6 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Go to solution

Great tips @GrahamNicholls , you've come a long way!

Thank you for sharing! Smiley Very Happy 

View solution in original post

Thor
Community Champion

Go to solution

What he said, mine is a similar story.

I started in March 2017 with 0 following, 0 presence, 0 content, 0 online training experience. ,

Now I have 35k students, 10k reviews, $265k earnings (average $15-20k /month on Udemy now + $5-8k off Udemy). 

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer

Go to solution

Thank you Graham, I am a new instructor preparing to submit my course soon, I have worked hard to release the best content that can be but also I am afraid of failure I always say there are instructors with bestseller tag why students would buy my course, All negative thoughts come at once, but I am committed 

Thanks for the inspiration, I wish you more and more success

Go to solution

I am very excited to join this community.

I took the first step to sign on as an instructor today.  I am looking forward to building my couse online. Thank you for sharing your story because it inspired me   

Go to solution

Thank you for awesome tips. I am excited to start learning and creating content. I joined today. 😊

GrahamNicholls
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi @Cryptoffee 

I haven't added any quizzes into my courses, but it should be noted that I am in a different area to you (going from your username). I know in some areas people like them so it might be trial and error on your part to see what works by asking for feedback from your students.

Good luck with your course 🙂 

33 Replies

Go to solution

Great tips @GrahamNicholls , you've come a long way!

Thank you for sharing! Smiley Very Happy 

SharonRamel
Community Champion

Go to solution

Great stuff @GrahamNicholls , agree totally, there is so much to learn by reading and taking notes from instructors who share.

Congrats on the 200K milestone 

Sharon Ramel
Spiritual Guide, Shaman, Priestess of the Blue Rose
Thor
Community Champion

Go to solution

I started in March 2017 with 0 following, 0 presence, 0 content, 0 online training experience. ,

Now I have 35k students, 10k reviews, $265k earnings (average $15-20k /month on Udemy now + $5-8k off Udemy). 

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer

Go to solution

I am very excited to join this community.

I took the first step to sign on as an instructor today.  I am looking forward to building my couse online. Thank you for sharing your story because it inspired me   

Go to solution

That,s is a good training to earning  money....

Go to solution

That,s is a good training to earning  money....

@Thor wrote:

Go to solution

Thank you Graham, I am a new instructor preparing to submit my course soon, I have worked hard to release the best content that can be but also I am afraid of failure I always say there are instructors with bestseller tag why students would buy my course, All negative thoughts come at once, but I am committed 

Thanks for the inspiration, I wish you more and more success

Go to solution

S

Go to solution

I wish you are a Success instructor to complete your courses..

Go to solution

Thank you for awesome tips. I am excited to start learning and creating content. I joined today. 😊

AtilSamancioglu
Community Champion

Go to solution

Great results, congrats Graham!

Go to solution

Awesome post and great work! You're crushing it!

I appreciate the encouragement. Just submitted my first course last night - outlining future courses as we speak. 

Go to solution

Thank you @GrahamNicholls for sharing your story.

It is one thing to have achieved a milestone, but it is an entirely different level and thinking to share and encourage others with your insights.

Best wishes,

bharat.

Go to solution

Very good tips that enthuse the Udemy instructors (esp. new ones) to keep going, keep trying and to inculcate the Never Say Die attitude. Thank you @GrahamNicholls.

~ Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school -- Albert Einstein

Go to solution

These is great advice! Thank you, part of them I knew, but as you said, the more you read the rules, the better you know how to go by the rules in order to achieve success! 🦊

Go to solution

You are spot on! As a new instructor, I can already recognize the pattern...People posting insane revenue numbers have been around for over 2 years. 

Consistency is definitely a major key here!

- Kris 

Go to solution

Thank you so much for your tips. I just published my first course today. Your post has inspired me to keep plodding on and to keep producing good content. 

Go to solution

Thanks for encouragement Graham! I am submitting my first course as a freebee and teaser for the next one.

Question: how much importance would you put on quizzes? I am a believer that everything can be well explained through the course itself. Nevertheless, if students prefer tasks and quizzes, then I shall add them on.

Once again, big thanks!

Regards from London, UK

Piotr

GrahamNicholls
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hi @Cryptoffee 

I haven't added any quizzes into my courses, but it should be noted that I am in a different area to you (going from your username). I know in some areas people like them so it might be trial and error on your part to see what works by asking for feedback from your students.

Good luck with your course 🙂 

Go to solution

Hello, when you first published your course how long does it take to get enrllonmets. I've already made facebook Ad and posted my course in some related groups

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors