welcome- my tips for making a living on Udemy

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

welcome- my tips for making a living on Udemy

Go to solution

Hi everyone excited about this new community!

i have been teaching on Udemy for around 3 years- prior to this I had never created an online course! Now I make a living from Udemy and have never looked back! I teach creative courses around singing, book writing and spiritual creativity. These were topics I was told would never make money- but it’s what I was passionate about so I decided to create courses that I loved and I’m so glad I did. 

my advice to new instructors is never

give up- i have had some courses that initially didn’t do well but I believed they could, so I kept testing and trying out new things and I constantly improve them as I learn more.

Learn as much as you can and keep on learning. Some things will work and others won’t- keep testing and Trying things out.

The most important thing though is to love your students and serve them. For me, it’s awesome that I get to make a living, but the real success is loving the students and creating community. When you grow that, you will find that teaching is a joy and passion- and then it never feels like work!

i wish everyone the best and look forward to your continued success, Roma xx

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

Hey @RomaWaterma943, thanks for sharing your tips! Your fellow instructors really enjoyed the post, so we're featuring it on Studio U's homepage -- check it out here!

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Go to solution

@RomaWaterma943 Thank you for sharing valuable info.

AliciaPaz
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Great advice!

I too am always wanting to respond to almost all posts with 1) create another course 2) make your course better than follow 1.  It's so important to continue being active with your current students while building new ones.  Also so much is learned here through trial and error. 

Alicia Paz M.A, QMHP

Go to solution

@RomaWaterma943 

Great advice, thanks for sharing. If I'm not having fun 'working' I'm not interested so it's great to hear you are having a good time as a Udemy Instructor. I want to make great courses, but I also want to enjoy it. It's great to get the feedback from the published community.

Lizzy x

LL
Thor
Community Champion

Go to solution

I started as an instructor almost 2 years ago (April 2017).

I had never made online training courses, had 0 following, and was completely unknown.

I started with somewhat random courses to see if Udemy was for me and it could work for what I wanted to do. Those courses are now retired, and I made less than $1,000 on them, but they proved the concept. 

I then spent 15 months making a course series on the side while working full time, as I built my following, my sales rose, and 4 months ago (Oct 2018) I was able to leave my day-job and focus on course creation and teaching full time. 

I now have 20,000+ students, a large(ish) Facebook group, and I keep expanding my course offerings and my student base. 

Crazy, amazing, hard working ride. 

Thor Pedersen - IT , Project Management, and Cyber Security trainer

Go to solution

I just love this attitude and thank you so much for taking the time to write this up for us! I am on the verge of publishing my first course. Currently editing the videos. Thank you for the extra push I need!

Romina (aka REDROMINA) - Creative Entrepreneur who likes to make movies and drink tea. Also aliens.
LindsayMarsh
Community Champion

Go to solution

I think you will find most instructors who live off of their income have been doing it for more than a year (if not closer to 2 years). I think it takes years to build up a following, student base and of course, building and creating all the content needed to earn a full-time income from teaching. It takes a lot of content creation! And that takes time.  

Go to solution

Hey @RomaWaterma943, thanks for sharing your tips! Your fellow instructors really enjoyed the post, so we're featuring it on Studio U's homepage -- check it out here!

Go to solution
Glad to hear such an inspiring story! Congrats!

Go to solution

Hi Roma

I am new to the community too and also new to Udemy. I love your mindset and also your story is so inspiring. I completely agree with you about loving and serving the students. I also agree that we need to constantly learn and improve. 

I am just wondering what things did you focus in learning that yielded you the greatest results towards your success as an instructor? I would love to know your thoughts and insights as I plan to become a successful instructor like yourself.

Can't wait to hear from you

Stay awesome

Tallal

Go to solution

Hola Roma

First of all congratulations on your success. You have really inspired me and I will be looking at your courses. 

I'm creating my first language course and I expect it's not going to change the world but my aim is for it to encourage these great students to converse in another language and learn about a different culture.

Your story is inspirational and I wish you further success.

Gracias

Marco

Go to solution

Hi Roma 

Thank you for your comments and encouragement. I just launched my first course on udemy so I'm a rookie. What or how is the best way to market the course. I'v only had 1 student so far. How did you get the word out... 

Thank you 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stories and inspiration
Pull up a seat and chat with your fellow instructors. This is a great place to get to know each other, swap stories, and just relax.
Top Liked Authors