cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lecture Effectiveness - The Research

It seems that every instructor on Udemy has an opinion about what makes an effective online presentation, but rarely do we have a discussion about evidence based research. So... I thought I would post some of the research I have found, encourage others to post additional research, and hopefully, instructors (Including myself) can make better informed course creation decisions.

1. https://cft.vanderbilt.edu/guides-sub-pages/effective-educational-videos/

How Video Production Affects Student Engagement: An Empirical Study of MOOC Videos

Key findings:

Findings 1.JPG

2. https://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED560520

Seeing the Instructor in Two Video Styles: Preferences and Patterns

Key Findings: 

Instructional content designers of online learning platforms are concerned about optimal video design guidelines that ensure course effectiveness, while keeping video production time and costs at reasonable levels. In order to address the concern, we use clickstream data from one Coursera course to analyze the engagement, motivational and navigational patterns of learners upon being presented with lecture videos incorporating the instructor video in two styles--first, where the instructor seamlessly interacts with the content and second, where the instructor appears in a window in a portion of the presentation window. Our main empirical finding is that the video style where the instructor seamlessly interacts with the content is by far the most preferred choice of the learners in general and certificate-earners and auditors in particular. Moreover, learners who chose this video style, on average, watched a larger proportion of the lectures, engaged with the lectures for a longer duration and preferred to view the lectures in streamed mode (as opposed to downloading them), when compared to their colleagues who chose the other video style. We posit that the important difference between the two video modes was the integrated view of a "real" instructor in close proximity to the content, that increased learner motivation, which in turn affected the watching times and the proportion of lectures watched. The results lend further credibility to the previously suggested hypothesis that positive affect arising out of improved social cues of the instructor influences learner motivation leading to their increased engagement with the course and its broader applicability to learning at scale scenarios. [For complete proceedings, see ED560503.]

3. https://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/ld/resources/presentations/delivering-presentation

Delivering an effective presentation

An effective presenter needs to be flexible, energetic and enthusiastic. This guide will help you turn your written presentation into an imaginative public performance.

Your turn.

Author:

Lawrence M. Miller (@LawrenceMMiller)
Management & Leadership Coach
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎05-08-2022 04:13 PM
Updated by:

Labels (1)