cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ten Things About Me That Make Me a Better Udemy Instructor

This post might come off sounding a bit self-centered and egotistical. Apologies in advance if it comes off that way. My intention tonight was to reflect on my 7+ years as a Udemy instructor.  I thought I would share them.

As always, if any of these spark questions or interest, feel free to ask about them in the comments below.

1. I don’t read my reviews. Stranger’s opinions about me are not important. I do, however, have someone to read them and respond. 

I once heard Seth Godin say something similar at Udemy Live. I care about the opinions of people I trust and respect, not Internet strangers.

2. If one person says something bad about me or my course, I don’t believe them. They’re having a bad day. I forget about what they said. Everyone has a right to their opinion. But I also have the right to ignore it.

You have to have thick skin to survive in an Internet Marketplace. Or a Facebook Group. I really don't let what people say to me affect me. That's on them. 

3. If multiple people say something bad about me or my course, ok maybe there’s something that can be improved. So I improve it. And then I forget about what they said. My lack of memory for inconsequential things is my greatest strength.

At some point, there's a quorum. If a few people say something needs to be improved, OK, I improve it. But I still don't let their harsh judgements affect me. It's fixed! Moving on!

4. I don’t read emails, private messages, social media messages, or answer phone calls unless I want to hear from that person. I currently have 26.999 unread emails and I’m perfectly fine with it. 

I view being hard to reach as a strength. 

5. I am not perfect. I can always be better. 

6. I am not a perfectionist. I don’t believe there is such a thing as a perfectionist actually. There are just people making excuses for why something isn’t done.

7. Great is the enemy of good.

A book I have not read. But it makes sense. If you spend too much time trying to be perfect or trying to reach greatness, your competition will have passed you 6 times.

8. Practice makes you better. Create one video, and it’s at-best “ok”. Create 100 videos, and you get better. Create 1000 and you get better. Do it again, and again, and again.

Practice, practice, practice. What we do is a skill. You can't beat me with your first course. I've been doing this for years. Work harder. Practice harder. 

9. Not every course I have made has been a success.

You don't see the failures. Shhh....

10. I watch my own courses frequently enough. I’ll just sit and watch 1-2 hours of each of my courses every few months. And that spurs ideas for making them better.

How many instructors watch their own courses one or two times per year? I bet it's less than 1%.

11. I don’t give away all my best secrets to public Internet forums.

Author:

@ScottDuffy 

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎05-16-2022 07:49 AM
Updated by:

Labels (1)
Contributors