Effectively Connected Income VS Non Effectively Connected Income

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effectively Connected Income VS Non Effectively Connected Income

Go to solution

Hello 

The Income which we get from Udemy , will be it considered as effectively connected or non effectively connected based on US laws , Considering the fact that i am Indian and never visited USA and i am self employed and paying my taxes in India.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Go to solution

Hi Vikas,

It sounds like you're wondering about the "effectively connected income" that would help you choose between forms.

Form W-8ECI is used by non-US individuals or businesses who earn "effectively connected income" (ECI) per the IRS, by engaging in a US trade or business. Simply receiving income from a US company (like Udemy) doesn't create a US trade or business. Similarly, the fact that US students may enroll in your courses doesn't necessarily create a US trade or business.

Hope this helps!

Eliana Cerna 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Go to solution

Hi Vikas,

It sounds like you're wondering about the "effectively connected income" that would help you choose between forms.

Form W-8ECI is used by non-US individuals or businesses who earn "effectively connected income" (ECI) per the IRS, by engaging in a US trade or business. Simply receiving income from a US company (like Udemy) doesn't create a US trade or business. Similarly, the fact that US students may enroll in your courses doesn't necessarily create a US trade or business.

Hope this helps!

Eliana Cerna 

Go to solution

Hi Eliana,

can you answer it in simple terms? So is our income from Udemy considered ECI or non-ECI?

Go to solution

Hello Keith

Based on my google search and confirmation by Eliana i found that royalty income and passive income is considered as non effectively connected income at least for non US citizens.

Please note i am not a tax expert . I believe i am right but please also do your own research and please don't rely on me completely .  

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Introductions
Create a video to introduce yourself and watch other videos from instructors to get to know them. We recommend including your name, what you teach, and what you hope to learn in your video.