Hello world (fist time post)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello world (fist time post)

Go to solution

My name is Ross Mcgowan. I have been an instructor on Udemy for just over 6 months. I have 6 live courses available now. I have been doing this as a hobby but have decided lately to put some serious effort into it.

I am at the moment re-doing my courses to make them a bit more professional and expanding on them a bit. 

I cover topics in applied mathematics and physics. I think there is a market for graduate level courses. I see lots of courses at high school or undrgraduate level but there are lots of missing subjects which are deemed graduate level  (or third fourth year degree) that are not covered in Udemy (for example calculus of variations, Lagrangian mechanics, Fourier , Laplace , Z tranforms - I could go on and on).

So I'm in the position of upgrading and also trying to decide a strategy on what course to provide next. I have so many ideas and courses I know would work but want to choose wisely as I know the amount of time invested in a 10 to 15 hour lecture course.

I haven't got any questions in this post it's meant as an introduction and to say if there are any others out there who would like to get in touch with any advice or suggestions or to just say hello then it would be greatly appreciated.

Ross

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hello! 

I trust you're familiar with the Marketplace Insights tool in your instructor dashboard; the data in there is indispensible in forming this sort of strategy. I just don't know if existing topics are narrow enough to guide you toward a specific mathematical topic there.

Given the niche nature of these topics, it will be important to choose topics that aren't already covered by existing good courses, on Udemy or elsewhere. Sounds like you're already doing that analysis.

It may also help to set up some sort of "learning path" amongst your courses that guide students toward these higher-level courses as they progress. Right now Udemy doesn't have a good way of communicating recommended sequences of courses to students, but you can at least call this out in bonus lectures, promotional messages, and your own website/blog/etc.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Hello! 

I trust you're familiar with the Marketplace Insights tool in your instructor dashboard; the data in there is indispensible in forming this sort of strategy. I just don't know if existing topics are narrow enough to guide you toward a specific mathematical topic there.

Given the niche nature of these topics, it will be important to choose topics that aren't already covered by existing good courses, on Udemy or elsewhere. Sounds like you're already doing that analysis.

It may also help to set up some sort of "learning path" amongst your courses that guide students toward these higher-level courses as they progress. Right now Udemy doesn't have a good way of communicating recommended sequences of courses to students, but you can at least call this out in bonus lectures, promotional messages, and your own website/blog/etc.

Go to solution

Yes I had thought along the lines of doing entry level maths to allow students to progress. I have a course called graphical mathematics but it is not complete and I have made it private just now. It covers A level type mathematics all done on a graphical calculator called Desmos (I use this to teach national 5 and Scottish higher pupils (do maths tution as a hobby)). 

I have erred towards making each course (as much as possible self contained) and relied on the fact that people who search for my courses already have enough mathematical background to get started.

Although it is interesting you say Udemy doesn't have a good way of communicating recommended sequences of courses. Maybe this might be the next big step taken by Udemy ? 

Get a course structure together then find individual instructors to cover each section ? Lot's of ideas.

Bye for now

Ross

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Introductions
Create a video to introduce yourself and watch other videos from instructors to get to know them. We recommend including your name, what you teach, and what you hope to learn in your video.