Last post about missing revenue slienced by Udemy Moderator

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last post about missing revenue slienced by Udemy Moderator

I've now witnessed 6 times in 2 months that My Promotions are being changed to Udemy Organic. Don't believe me? Look at the difference between these two screenshots taken a day apart. Had no resolution from Support in 2 months and my last post was shut down by moderator Abbie. Effectively censored. What can I do instructors?

Yesterday

1.jpg

And today

2.jpg

It's only $5 but a few times a month going back for two years is a lot. Any ideas?

@GregReverdiau @VipinJoshi @LawrenceMMiller 

6 Replies
LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

I don't think any of us fellow instructors can answer your question. 

I am quite sure that most of us do not watch each purchase so closely that we would notice this. I certainly do not. I know you didn't like it when I said this before, but... I really think there are better ways to spend your time. 

The Udemy system is complex with all the different coupon codes, sales, currencies, etc. etc. When you have hundreds or even thousands of students  in enrolling in your courses you simply have to trust that Udemy is not "stealing" your revenue, although there may be mistake from time to time. I had 9600 new course enrollments last month. I am not paying any attention to what each student is paying. I am paying attention to the rate of enrollments, revenue compared to previous months, UFB revenue, and a lot of other things that I think are important. In the end what matters is your net revenue each month. 

Good luck. 

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

Wow that's some great sales Lawrence. Maybe I should take the leadership course after all. I get what you're saying but it's the principle, it's not just happened once and although it's a very niche subject I teach in, it does make up some part of my monthly income. Hopefully you can agree with me after seeing the evidence in those two photos that My Promotions are definitely changing to Organic. So far that means 16.6% of this month's enrollments are being tampered with. If the same happened to you last month thats 1593 sales where revenue was not appropriated correctly. I'd think that's worth keeping an eye on.

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

I hear you. Unfortunately, there is no way for me to explain those changes. 

But, this is stepping beyond the current topic, may I make a suggestion: You are right that your topic is a very niche topic and there will, therefore, be a relatively limited number of students interested in that topic. My course sales were relatively slow until I stopped trying to be unique and presenting the latest and greatest stuff, and I asked myself the question "What could I teach that the most number of people would be looking for?" The answer to that question was a basic course on management for new managers. That course is now about 40% of my Udemy income and everything changed in terms of the number of students and revenue.

If you really want to make money on Udemy would it not be smart to develop a more general course on playing base guitar? Surely the audience for that must be many times the audience for African Bass. No?

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor

I'd like to make an ultimate bass playing course but I get the feeling that people just trust and go more with the person who got to the market first, even if they are nowehere near as good. Instead I'm going deeper in the opposite way. I got an Arts Council grant of £12k to develop a new platform dedicated to learning World Music. Niche but no competition. Have produced everything from Hindustani slide guitar to Colombian mountain folk, Brazilian drum kit and courses on the Evolution of Congolese music. Project is close to completion then I'll no longer need to worry about revenue shafting.

I suggest you contact instructorsupport@udemy.com for their feedback.

Thanks Carsten but I've been emailing them regularly since April 3rd "the team is looking into it"  is all I ever get back

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Introductions
Create a video to introduce yourself and watch other videos from instructors to get to know them. We recommend including your name, what you teach, and what you hope to learn in your video.