Tax Form & Instructor Information

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax Form & Instructor Information

Go to solution

Hi Udemy team members and instructors,

I got a request related to Tax information submission!

There are many fields that I couldn't find the information but it is so hard to chat or connect with Udemy team? Please help me!

- Udemy instructor ID ==> I find in email and in my profile but I can't find it! Can you help me where to find this info?

- US. TIN type: I'm out of US, so I will choose "US. TIN not applicale", is it right?

Thanks for your support!

Ryan Holmes

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Go to solution

Hi @RyanHolmes576 I'll recommend you reach out to the support team instructorsupport@udemy.com they will be able to provide you with more details on this matter.

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community Team

View solution in original post

Go to solution

For the Udemy Instructor ID: I too read that I would get an email with this ID number, but no email came. But I found my ID on my Instructor page, in the orange box that said I needed to fill out my tax info. See screenshot. 

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 12.29.57 AM.png

For the TIN, I think you're right, a US TIN would not be applicable if you're outside the US. The 2 options (US TIN or SSN) don't fit. I know that a TIN (Taxpayer Identification Number) is an identification number used by the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in the administration of tax laws.

A TIN can simply be a person's SSN, or 
Employer Identification Number (EIN), Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (INIT), Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending U.S. Adoptions (ATIN), or Preparer Taxpayer Identification Number (PTIN).

A Social Security number (SSN) is issued by the SSA whereas all other TINs are issued by the IRS. (source: IRS.gov)

Go to solution

In case if you have not recieved a mail from udemy then kindly drop a mail requesting Instructor Id- instructorsupport@udemy.com

I got my instructor id the way I am telling you to do so.

CEO
AXE Consultant

21 Replies
ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Go to solution

Hi @RyanHolmes576 I'll recommend you reach out to the support team instructorsupport@udemy.com they will be able to provide you with more details on this matter.

Eliana Cerna

Udemy Community Team

Go to solution

I have been waiting for the past few weeks to my tax query sent on instructorsupport@udemy.com. Could anyone from udemy reply?

Go to solution

I am having the same issue. Instructions to fill out the tax form are needed. There are too many things that are not easy to find. I never received an email with my instructor ID. We should be able to access it from our account. And TIN???? What's that?

Go to solution

Estou com esta mesma sensação.

@NancyReyner333 wrote:

I am having the same issue. Instructions to fill out the tax form are needed. There are too many things that are not easy to find. I never received an email with my instructor ID. We should be able to access it from our account. And TIN???? What's that?

Go to solution

I have the same massage, I sent e-mail and waiting reply until now .

i haven't this information, I'm not us citizen .

ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Go to solution

Hi @MohamedAbde451 and @NancyReyner333  the best thing to do here is to get in contact with the support team at instructorsupport@udemy.com they will provide more information.

Go to solution

I did!!! I sent in a request to the support team at Udemy. They gave me my ID, and told me to read an article on filling out the form. I read it many times, but that did not help with all the other issues with filling out that form. The site that deals with the form is not Udemy, it's another company that takes care of that form. The form has issues - and I mean technical. For instance, I filled out my name correctly, but when I filled in the EIN info it changed my name. I did it over and over trying different combinations. The form has issues, and no article or support team seems to be focusing on that. I ended up submitting my form, with the wrong name. I would really like it if someone in tech can fix it, because as I said, I can't fix it on my end using that form.

ScottDuffy
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Sadly, there's no one at Udemy that can help you fill out your US Government tax forms. The risk that some of those forms would contain mistakes, and that some financial consequences such as taxes or penalties would happen, is too great.

Everyone is in the same boat. I had to stuggle to fill out the form and even when I submitted, I was not sure. But I did it. 

Go to solution

Thank you. That makes alot of sense. Glad to know I'm not the only one that had trouble. I wish they would let us fill it out by hand, then scan it, to make sure we get the right information on there. Oh well.

Go to solution

I done a screen capture of final form before submitting. I found it quite difficult as well. 

Best of luck

Liam

Go to solution

I remember there was an option to view and download a copy of the final form - which I did. Screen shots work too. I wish whoever is in charge of that form would actually read these comments and make it easier. It also needs to be fixed because it has issues. So far Udemy just answers us assuming it is us that is the problem. No one addresses the fact that the form has problems. I'm especially frustrated that you can't enter a business name without the main tax payer name changing. That should not happen.  

Go to solution

Did you apply as an individual? I'm currently in the process of filling out my tax info and it seems like these are the steps. 

1. Submit original documents to the IRS to prove your identity and foreign status OR find a certifying acceptance agent (CAA) to prove your identity and foreign status.
  2. Once certified, you can use the W7 form to apply for an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN). 
  3. Use the ITIN on Udemy's tax form page in order for them to submit a 1040 form on your behalf. 

I see that there's an option to put that the TIN doesn't apply to you, but I can't see how that's the case given that we fall under non-resident alien status. I'm worried that by choosing this option and by not providing a ITIN that we may not be entitled to the Canada-US tax treaty which NILs any tax. 

Thoughts?

Go to solution

For the Udemy Instructor ID: I too read that I would get an email with this ID number, but no email came. But I found my ID on my Instructor page, in the orange box that said I needed to fill out my tax info. See screenshot. 

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 12.29.57 AM.png

For the TIN, I think you're right, a US TIN would not be applicable if you're outside the US. The 2 options (US TIN or SSN) don't fit. I know that a TIN (Taxpayer Identification Number) is an identification number used by the United States Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in the administration of tax laws.

A TIN can simply be a person's SSN, or 
Employer Identification Number (EIN), Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (INIT), Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending U.S. Adoptions (ATIN), or Preparer Taxpayer Identification Number (PTIN).

A Social Security number (SSN) is issued by the SSA whereas all other TINs are issued by the IRS. (source: IRS.gov)

Go to solution

Thank you very much for your detail answer! I have just completed the form successfully! I guess we all did the right things to help Udemy updated! Now the information is clearer for all instructors!

Go to solution

Hi. How did you solve that TIN problem? 

ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Go to solution

Hi @SergelenTso883 , please reach out to instructorsupport@udemy.com. The team is best equipped to look into this for you.

Go to solution

In case if you have not recieved a mail from udemy then kindly drop a mail requesting Instructor Id- instructorsupport@udemy.com

I got my instructor id the way I am telling you to do so.

CEO
AXE Consultant

Go to solution

Hi, 

I am also non us citizen, You don't need to fill tin,  just check tin not available.

In that form the main thing is your name and udemy instructor I'd and signature at last,  rest udemy will take care. 

Thanks 

Go to solution

I am a Canadian Instructor and found this very confusing as well! I filled in "US. Tin not applicable" but the next page with 5 different forms to complete I am lost? I did send an email to support for assistance as well.

Bev Morgan

Go to solution

Hey Instructors and Community Moderator,

I'm seriously stuck with my Tax Forms.  I've submitted 3 times but it seems it has been rejected and as a result my Pay-outs are blocked since Nov 23.  The Tax Forms are so complicated and difficult to understand.  Why doesn't the Udemy provide live support for Instructors.  It is unbelievable stuff. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Introductions
Create a video to introduce yourself and watch other videos from instructors to get to know them. We recommend including your name, what you teach, and what you hope to learn in your video.