Drawing on a screen

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drawing on a screen

Go to solution

Hi everybody,

I'm wondering how I could go about recording my screen (a regular screencast) and then with a tablet or something how I could draw on the screen with a stylus? And then when I'm done I could clear my doodles and return back to regular screencasting again. I actually have no idea what that's called, but if someone could help guide me in the right direct, that'd be really helpful! 

I'm using a MacBook Pro, if that makes any difference.

Thank you! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

In my opinion, if you want accuracy when drawing, you need a dedicated drawing tablet.

I don't use it for my courses, but for my photography projects I use an XP-Pen Deco 01 tablet, which connects to my computer via USB.  I use it on Windows but it works on Mac as well.

There are more expensive ones, but this is enough for me at the moment. It has a big enough drawing surface, detects pressure, works very well and it is not too expensive ($60.00).

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Go to solution

I would Also Like To Know ... and Hopefully the Cheapest Solution  🙂   Please Recommend Cheap Tablets to do the Drawing On ... THANKS!

Go to solution

Hi,

I'm not sure for Mac, but for my courses I have used Microsoft OneNote to draw on a touch-screen laptop.

Go to solution

This is how I do it. I connect a graphics tablet to my computer using usb that comes with the tablet. The I run my powerpoint slide. I may have a blank slide with my preferred colour (black). When runing the PowerPoint slide, go to the "pen" icon next to the navigation at the bottom left corner. Click it and the pen appears as a dot. You may choose the colour of the pen at this point. Keeping my eye on the screen and guided by the dot on the screen, I can write on the scrren as I would do on papre using a pen. When I'm done writing, I simply navigate to the next slide. But when you want to exit the slide show, you will be promted to save this inking of the slide. You may discard it but it will of course appear in your screen capture. If you're using camtasia, you can hold "ctrl + shift+ D". A pen appears and you can write on the screen. You do not need to use PowerPoint. Hope this helps.

Go to solution

Do you use a regular tablet like an iPad, or a dedicated graphics tablet? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

@KalobTaulien 

I use Camtasia 2018 (Windows/MacOS) to record my screen while drawing on a tablet attached to my computer.  I can then edit my recordings in the Cmatasia 2018 video editor in post-production to remove transitions from PowerPoint slides and other unwanted errors.  I draw using the application Clip Studio Paint.

Hope this helps,

---Brian

Go to solution

Use Explain Everything on an ipad.  Seamless and simple.

Go to solution

I screencast on a MacBook pro though. I also recordd audio separately on my MacBook for higher quality audio. But I can't draw on my screen. Can this plug in and draw on my screencasted screen? 

KylePew
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

I record on a Windows system and use an free application called ZOOMIT. I did a quick search on MAC alternatives and this one came up, https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/draw-on-my-screen-ez/id1082177879?mt=12

I haven't used it but looks similar to ZOOMIT on Windows, plua it's free. Worth a try.

Go to solution

Thanks for the suggestion! I just tried it and it's ultra laggy. So bad you can't see where you're drawing until 2-3 seconds after and half of the markings don't even appear. But this is very close to want I'm looking for!! 

Go to solution

Agreed. Zoomit is the best!

Go to solution

In my opinion, if you want accuracy when drawing, you need a dedicated drawing tablet.

I don't use it for my courses, but for my photography projects I use an XP-Pen Deco 01 tablet, which connects to my computer via USB.  I use it on Windows but it works on Mac as well.

There are more expensive ones, but this is enough for me at the moment. It has a big enough drawing surface, detects pressure, works very well and it is not too expensive ($60.00).

Go to solution

I think this is exactly what I'm looking for! And the price is very affordable. Thanks Carlos! 

Go to solution

Any tablet will do the job, buy the Wii Styles Pen it works with all devices, record right to the tablet using any screen recorder and you won't face any problem 

Use OneNote

Go to solution

I use the iPad Pro with Notability. It's extremely powerful and the handwriting optimization makes it great. 

Now, the trick it to record it easily! I fire up Quicktime and use iPad as a camera in there. That brings in the screen of the iPad so now, it's just a window that I can use. Doodle away! Shift to whatever other window you want to show/code in/animate. 

Hope that helps. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to solution

You could use a graphic tablet which comes with a stylus and not as expensive as iPad.

Basic model:

https://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Graphic-Drawing-Tablet-Beginners/dp/B07S1RR3FR

Pro model:

https://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Digital-Graphic-Drawing-PTH460K0A/dp/B07PPQH867/

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.