Increasing Overall Volume in Videos

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing Overall Volume in Videos

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all doing well! I'm reaching out because I have a question about audio recording. I use OBS for recording, Openshot for editing, and the BOYA BY-M1S Professional Lavalier Lapel Microphone for capturing audio.

I've noticed that my audio recordings are sometimes too low in volume, and I'd like to improve this aspect of my videos. Could anyone share tips or techniques for raising the volume of audio while recording in OBS? Additionally, I'd appreciate guidance on how to increase the volume of already recorded videos during the editing process in Openshot or any other recommended free platform.

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions!

Best regards,

Indy Jeed

3 Replies
MarinaT
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @IndyJeed

Thank you so much for your post!

Let me bump it up and tag @FrankKane and @TrevoirWill; perhaps they can offer some assistance with your audio settings.

Additionally, our topic of the month in the community is Audio & Video, so I suggest keeping an eye out for related posts 😊

We're also hosting a networking session about A/V on April 26th, in case you missed this announcement. You can find more details here.

Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Hello @IndyJeed ,

Indeed, getting clean audio is one of the many wonders of content creation. I completely understand your quest for this. 

I made a video some time ago about how I get my audio with noise reduction and good volume, all in one take. you can view it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBz6dJnUbdA 

I use Reaper with a number of plugins to set an equalizer, noise gate and compression (equalized volume control) so that my volume will always sound consistent. 

Since you are already using OBS for your recording, this video shows how you can use the same ReaPlugin apps and add to your OBS mic input. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnHfqJtCqVM 

This approach also reduces the amount of audio editing and clean up that you need to do after you have recorded, since the incoming audio is being adjusted in real-time.

I hope this helps. 

FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

I can't really add to what Trevoir said. I was just going to ask about how your mic is attached to your PC - is it plugged right into a 1/8" microphone input, or through some USB interface? Often I've found that signals are getting attenuated within Windows itself; and right-clicking the audio icon in the taskbar can lead you to sliders for adjusting the input volume for your mic. It might be cutting things down before it even gets to OBS (assuming we're talking about Windows.) OBS also has its own levels you can set, but it's not exactly intuitive. That plugin Trevoir mentioned is certainly worth checking out.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.
Top Liked Authors