Lectures download in awful quality (144 pixels)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lectures download in awful quality (144 pixels)

When I download videos from my courses (or from someone else's courses), the best quality I can get is 144 pixels, which is far too blurry to use. This is a problem that has been on Udemy for at least 2-3 years, as you can see from this post below, and I informed support about this problem in November last year. Sadly, this problem has still not been fixed. I promise students in the course description that 'all lectures are available for download', so this means that I am breaking my promise, and students are not getting what they paid for. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Were they able to find a solution? All I can do at the moment is put all future courses on my own website, as this does allow students to download my lectures in high definition. Why should I put a course on Udemy if the download function doesn't work? 

Problem Downloading Videos 

Please let me know if you have the same problem. 

6 Replies
Leonor C.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hello @DaveSkypele067 

I'm sorry to hear this issue has affected your students by not allowing them to download the videos at the proper resolution. This issue has been brought up to the support team and we need students to submit the report to the support team. I recommend encouraging the students to report the issue to the support team, as the more reports they receive, the higher priority the issue will get. This will help expedite a resolution, we as community moderator are unable to provide to investigate. Kindly keep in mind that the community is not an escalation support channel, and it’s generally more effective to reach out to the official support team for assistance with resolving this issue. Your feedback and reports are valuable in ensuring that the problem is addressed promptly.

Kindest regards,

Leonor

Udemy moderation team

FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

@Leonor C. wrote:

This issue has been brought up to the support team and we need students to submit the report to the support team.

It would help if it weren't almost impossible for students to contact the support team now. I  know you're just the messenger @Leonor C. but somebody has to say it.

This is easily reproducible; I just now selected 720p resolution in the video player, hit download, and it gave me 144 resolution. It is absolutely a customer-facing problem. Udemy shouldn't wait for enough students to find and then persevere their way through Alex the Chatbot to prioritize it as appropriate. Most will just give up and walk away frustrated with the Udemy brand.  And instructors shouldn't be in the position of needing to tell our students to do so.

That said, @DaveSkypele067 , I'd reconsider if you really want to allow downloads in the first place. It makes piracy a little too easy. If students need offline access, the Udemy app provides that in a more secure manner.

MarinaT
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @FrankKane

We are very sorry to hear about the challenges students and instructors are facing with our chatbot Alex.

Currently, our chatbot is trained to gather necessary information upfront, aiming to reduce the need for lengthy email exchanges. However, we want you to know that we're constantly working on improving our systems to provide a better Udemy experience to instructors and students.

Therefore, all the feedback we receive is crucial to us, and it was forwarded to the responsible team for review.

Thank you so much!

Aaaannnnnddd.....? Any solution to the above? I am facing the exact same problem. I need to download my own videos, and the solution provided on the forum (preview as instructor, click the gear icon, download) results in me downloading a tiny video that is in awful quality (I think the reason it is "tiny" is that my player shrinks it to look ok, so it results in the video occcupying a tiny square in the middle of the screen, if this was blown up to full screen, the quality would be awful)

Same here, mate, and Udemy support are still ignoring me. I have been complaining about this for around 12 months. 

ElianaC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @J_Kriukow Please send an email to the support team since they will have the tools you need to get your videos.  To contact the team, please open the help center article here and click “Contact Us” on the right.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Audio and video solutions
Figure out how to create the best audio and visual set-up for your price point and skill level. This is a great place to chat about different mics, green screens, video editing software, and more.
Top Liked Authors